Force and potential energy of a mail bag

In summary, the problem asks for the horizontal force needed to hold a 115 kg mail bag at a position 2.2m sideways from its original position while keeping the rope taut. To solve this, the potential energy of the bag at the new position is calculated by using Pythagorean's theorem and the change in potential energy is divided by the horizontal displacement to find the force needed. This can also be solved by applying the law of triangles of vectors or the law of moments.
physstudent1

Homework Statement

A 115 kg mail bag hangs by a vertical rope 3.8m long. A postal worker then displaces the bag to a position of 2.2m sideways from its original position, always keeping the rope taut.

What horizontal force is necessary to hold the bag in the new position?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so I set up the new position of the bag and used Pythagoreans theorem to find that the bag is now .7m higher than it was where it started. I called the original position my reference line so it has no potential energy there. At a height of .7 it has .7*9.8*120
In my book it says that F(in x direction) = -(change in potential)/(change in x)

so I thought dividing this potential energy I found by the change in the x direction (2.2) would give me the Force in the horizontal?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Draw the diagram as explained in the problem. Draw three vectors. One tension, second horizontal force and third weight vertically downwards. Draw a right angled triange such that length of the rope is hypotenuse, horizontal displacement is horizontal side. According to your calculation the third side becomes 3.1m. Applying the law of trianglesof vectors we can wright F/2.2 = Mg/3.1. Now find F. You can also solve this problem by applying law of moments.

Your approach is on the right track, but there are a few things to consider. First, when calculating potential energy, it is important to use the height above the ground, rather than the displacement from the original position. So in this case, the potential energy at the new position would be (2.2 + 3.8) * 9.8 * 115 = 8,626 J.

Second, the formula you mentioned (F = -ΔU/Δx) is actually for the force due to a change in potential energy, not just the potential energy itself. So in this case, you would need to divide the change in potential energy (8,626 J) by the change in x (2.2 m) to get the force in the horizontal direction, which is 3,921 N.

However, this only gives the minimum force needed to hold the bag in the new position. In reality, the postal worker would also need to exert some force in the vertical direction to keep the bag from swinging or falling. This would depend on the angle at which the rope is held and the tension in the rope. So the actual force needed to hold the bag in the new position would be greater than 3,921 N.

What is force?

Force is a physical quantity that can cause an object to change its state of motion or shape. It is usually measured in Newtons (N) and is represented by the symbol F. Force can be a push or pull, and it has both magnitude and direction.

What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position or configuration. It is stored energy that can be converted into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy. The potential energy of an object depends on its mass, height, and the force acting on it.

How are force and potential energy related?

Force and potential energy are related because force can change an object's potential energy. For example, lifting a mail bag off the ground requires the application of force, which increases its potential energy. On the other hand, if the mail bag falls to the ground, its potential energy decreases as a result of the force of gravity.

What factors affect the force and potential energy of a mail bag?

The force and potential energy of a mail bag are affected by its mass, height, and the force acting on it. The greater the mass and height of the mail bag, the more potential energy it has. Similarly, the larger the force acting on the mail bag, the more its potential energy will change.

How is the force and potential energy of a mail bag calculated?

The force and potential energy of a mail bag can be calculated using the equations F=ma and PE=mgh, where F is the force, m is the mass, a is the acceleration, PE is the potential energy, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height. These equations can be used to determine the force and potential energy at different points in the mail bag's motion.