Work-energy solution for a hanging weight

In summary, the problem involves a 120-kg mail bag being displaced to a position 2.0 m to the side from its original position by a worker, while keeping the rope taut. The task is to calculate the horizontal force necessary to hold the bag in the new position, using energy balance methods. The equation to be used is K(1) + U(G1) + W(other) = K(2) + U(G2), where K(1) and K(2) are the kinetic energy at the start and end of displacement, U(G1) and U(G2) are the potential energy at the start and end of displacement, and W(other) is the work done by the horizontal force in
jackthehat

Homework Statement

Problem - A 120-kg mail bag hangs by a vertical rope. A worker then displaces the bag to a position 2.0 m to the side from the original position, always keeping the rope taut.
What horizontal force is necessary to hold the bag in the new position ?

Note :- We have to use energy balance methods to solve this problem.

Homework Equations

K(1) + U(G1) + W(other) = K(2) + U(G2)
where K(1) and K(2) are kinetic energy at start and end of displacement
U(G1) and U(G2) are potential energy at start and end of displacement
W(other) is work done by horizontal force in displacing the bag.

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to calculate the Kinetic energy of the body at start and end of displacement.
Then rearranging above equation to ..
W(other) = K(2) + U(G2) - K(1) - U(G1)
However since the tension in the rope has to be maintained throughout the displacement
to the side I assumed that the body would move in an arc. So this means, I guess, that
the estimation of the height the body is raised to would be more complicated.
I am not sure of the geometry of the displacement and so I think my height estimate is
off somewhat. I am also confused about whether the total work involved in raising the body is just the force x distance that the worker produces or a combination of this and the work
expended in overcoming gravity + the work the worker expends (and what about the
tension in the rope) . Also my calculations give me the Work expended in raising the
weight but how then do I convert this to the Force expended .. (what is the relationship
here ... is it just W = F x distance ?).
I am afraid I am confused as what quantity or combination of quantities I should be
using in my calculations and as I said the geometry of the thing is not clear to me.
Suffice to say the correct answer is .. 740 Joules .. and I got several answers
between 200-400 Joules in my several attempts at the problem.
Can anybody help me understand this problem and the general method to use ?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the length of the rope?? Is it given?

Hi .. yes ... I must have left that vital piece of information out in my haste to get the post on to the forum ..
The length of the rope is .. 3.5 metres.
Sorry about that.
Jackthehat

jackthehat said:
Hi .. yes ... I must have left that vital piece of information out in my haste to get the post on to the forum ..
The length of the rope is .. 3.5 metres.
Sorry about that.
Jackthehat
Okay.
jackthehat said:

Homework Statement

Problem - A 120-kg mail bag hangs by a vertical rope. A worker then displaces the bag to a position 2.0 m to the side from the original position, always keeping the rope taut.
What horizontal force is necessary to hold the bag in the new position ?

Note :- We have to use energy balance methods to solve this problem.

Homework Equations

K(1) + U(G1) + W(other) = K(2) + U(G2)
where K(1) and K(2) are kinetic energy at start and end of displacement
U(G1) and U(G2) are potential energy at start and end of displacement
W(other) is work done by horizontal force in displacing the bag.
Yes, correct.

3. The Attempt at a Solution
I attempted to calculate the Kinetic energy of the body at start and end of displacement.
Then rearranging above equation to ..
W(other) = K(2) + U(G2) - K(1) - U(G1)
However since the tension in the rope has to be maintained throughout the displacement
to the side I assumed that the body would move in an arc.
Yes
So this means, I guess, that
the estimation of the height the body is raised to would be more complicated.
I am not sure of the geometry of the displacement and so I think my height estimate is
off somewhat.
Now that you know the length of the rope and the horizontal displacement, you can do some basic trig and geometry to calculate the vertical displacement of the mailbag.
I am also confused about whether the total work involved in raising the body is just the force x distance that the worker produces or a combination of this and the work
expended in overcoming gravity + the work the worker expends (and what about the
tension in the rope) .
Both gravity and the man do work , does tension do work? (think about direction of tension force and direction of displacement as the bag moves in an arc) . Your equation will give work done by 'other' forces besides gravity.
Also my calculations give me the Work expended in raising the
weight but how then do I convert this to the Force expended .. (what is the relationship
here ... is it just W = F x distance ?).
yes... distance in the direction of the force.
I am afraid I am confused as what quantity or combination of quantities I should be
using in my calculations and as I said the geometry of the thing is not clear to me.
Suffice to say the correct answer is .. 740 Joules ..
that's an answer for work but you are asked for the force required...

Hi PhanthomJay,
My mistake again .. I read the answer for a subsequent problem in the book .. the answer for
this particular problem is .. the value of the force required = 820 Newtons.
The solutions I obtained from several attempts .. range between 200 N - 400 N ?
Jackthehat.

jackthehat said:
Hi PhanthomJay,
My mistake again .. I read the answer for a subsequent problem in the book .. the answer for
this particular problem is .. the value of the force required = 820 Newtons.
The solutions I obtained from several attempts .. range between 200 N - 400 N ?
Jackthehat.
740 joules is the correct answer for the work done by the man, so I guess that's the answer to part b? But to determine the force required to hold the bag in place, draw a free body diagram now that you know the swing angle, and solve for the force using Newtons 1st law

1. What is the work-energy theorem?

The work-energy theorem states that the work done by the net force on an object is equal to the change in kinetic energy of that object.

2. How does work-energy theorem apply to a hanging weight?

In the context of a hanging weight, the work-energy theorem can be used to calculate the work done by the weight as it moves downward from its initial position. This work done is equal to the change in potential energy of the weight, which is converted into kinetic energy as it falls.

3. Can the work-energy theorem be applied to other systems besides a hanging weight?

Yes, the work-energy theorem can be applied to any system in which there is a net force acting on an object causing it to undergo a change in velocity. This includes systems involving friction, air resistance, and multiple objects interacting with each other.

4. How is the work-energy theorem related to conservation of energy?

The work-energy theorem is a specific application of the more general principle of conservation of energy. In this case, the work done on an object is equal to the change in its energy, which is consistent with the principle of conservation of energy.

5. What is the formula for calculating work using the work-energy theorem?

The formula for calculating work using the work-energy theorem is W = ΔK = Kf - Ki, where W is the work done, ΔK is the change in kinetic energy, Kf is the final kinetic energy, and Ki is the initial kinetic energy.