Force applied by someones hand on a lever

In summary: Anyway, in summary, the lever has a spring that pulls it down and a bolt that slides up. When the user grabs the lever, they apply a force to the bolt which then pushes the spring up, closing the mech.
sitting_duck
I am redesigning a bicycle wheel quick release lever for a design project. I am trying to put together a force diagram as part of the project and I need to know the average force someones hand could apply to the tip of the lever to calculate the force exerted on the locking mechanism. Could anyone point me in the direction of a rough estimate of the force someones hand could exert, sources would be great but I haven't found anything after extensive googling.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
sitting_duck said:
I am redesigning a bicycle wheel quick release lever for a design project. I am trying to put together a force diagram as part of the project and I need to know the average force someones hand could apply to the tip of the lever to calculate the force exerted on the locking mechanism. Could anyone point me in the direction of a rough estimate of the force someones hand could exert, sources would be great but I haven't found anything after extensive googling.

Thanks

The maximum force one can apply statically is equal to one's weight.

CS

Thanks stewartcs, that will work for the calculations.

On a slightly different question. Can I make these assumptions in my force diagram?
(R is the resistance force caused by friction)

F1x(45x10^-3)=F2

F2-R=N

Or do I have to take torque into account, I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible and the project doesn't require me to go into to much detail, its more a question of if I know how to do a project then anything else.

Attachments

• fORCE dIAGRAM.JPG
    fORCE dIAGRAM.JPG
    12.1 KB · Views: 726
Last edited:
The lever -quick release devices I am familiar with operate on a hand grip principle, the lever being pushed with the thumb against the pull of the other fingers on the rest of the wheel.

The strength of hand grip is well documented eg

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/grip.htm

sitting_duck said:
On a slightly different question. Can I make these assumptions in my force diagram?
(R is the resistance force caused by friction)

F1x(45x10^-3)=F2

F2-R=N

Or do I have to take torque into account, I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible and the project doesn't require me to go into to much detail, its more a question of if I know how to do a project then anything else.

Generally speaking, you'll need to sum all of the forces and moments acting on they body in order to find the missing force. So yes you'll need to consider the torque (i.e. moments).

F1 x (0.045) = Torque, not force. Now the torque at the fulcrum will be constant since you are applying a constant force from F1. So if you have some type of lever arrangement then you can calculated the force at F2 based on that torque (i.e. F1 x 0.045 = F2 x d). Then you'll have the horizontal force. From that you can sum the remaining horizontal forces to find the net horizontal force (magnitude and direction).

I'm not sure what parts are moving or how they are connected in your diagram. Can you label it or explain it a bit better?

CS

Sorry I didn't really explain how it works. Hopefully these pictures explain it better then words.

The first one is when the mech is open and the second when it's closed. The third the detail of the lever.

Attachments

• open_275x226.jpg
    open_275x226.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 600
  • closed_283x230.jpg
    closed_283x230.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 586
  • leverdetail_184x152.jpg
    leverdetail_184x152.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 558
...and the exploded views, could only upload 3 files at a time.

Attachments

• explodeddetail1_426x372.jpg
    explodeddetail1_426x372.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 583
  • exploded_768x576.jpg
    exploded_768x576.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 612

1. What is a lever?

A lever is a simple machine that consists of a rigid bar or beam that can rotate around a fixed point called a fulcrum. It is used to amplify or redirect the force applied to it.

2. How does a lever work?

A lever works by using a mechanical advantage to multiply the force applied to it. When a force is applied to one end of the lever, it creates a torque or rotational force that can be used to move an object or lift a load at the other end.

3. What is the role of the fulcrum in a lever?

The fulcrum is the fixed point around which the lever rotates. It acts as a pivot point and helps to distribute the force applied to the lever evenly. The position of the fulcrum can affect the mechanical advantage and the direction of the force applied by the lever.

4. How does the force applied by someone's hand affect the lever?

The force applied by someone's hand on a lever can determine the direction and magnitude of the force at the other end of the lever. A greater force applied by the hand can result in a larger force at the other end, while a smaller force can result in a smaller force.

5. What are some real-life examples of levers?

Some common examples of levers include seesaws, scissors, crowbars, and wheelbarrows. Levers are also used in machinery such as cranes, shovels, and bottle openers. Our own bones and muscles also function as levers in our bodies.