Lever balancing physics (video game design)

Fury22
TL;DR Summary
Will the lever balance when two equal forces are applied to it?
Hi everyone! I am not a physicist or a physics student. Just a simple video game programmer. I have recently gotten into a discussion with my fellow programmer about a specific hypothetical problem regarding levers. The problem might seem very simple at first, but cause me a bit of headache.

So, let's say we have a lever with support exactly in the middle of it, so both sides arms are exactly the same length.
I apply exactly the same forces at both ends of the lever. Let's say 100 Newtons, or a 100kg objects. The amount of force doesn't matter. What matters is that the arm and the force is exactly the same at both ends.
However the lever initially is tilted all the way to the left side. So we locked the mechanism then placed the weight/force at both ends, and then we release the mechanism.

What happens? Will the lever balance out and rotate, so that it's completely flat? Or will it just stay still the same way when it was released?
If you know the answer, I'd like to know why you think this way.

My opinion:
In my opinion the lever will stay still, because the force on both sides results in equal, but opposite torque. But I might be wrong.

My friend's opinion:
My friend says it will balance itself. If this is true, I am curious what causes a 100kg object on the left to be lifted off the ground by the 100kg object on the right?

Thanks for any answers in advance!
Test.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Newton's first law says "An object at rest stays at rest and an object in motion stays in motion with the same speed and in the same direction unless acted upon by an unbalanced force." In this case, the forces are balanced, so guess what? You are right and your friend is not.

The lever should stay still since there is no net force, and thus no net torque.

Welcome, @Fury22 !
It is important to consider the location of the center of mass of the system respect to the pivot axis.
Your friend believe is probably based on the way a simple balance works: naturally positioning the bar horizontally when both plates hold identical weights.

5a30a063881b0ab1e8ee2ef5090a820160630-5020-1jh2b1l.png

Hi! Thanks for so quick and amazing answers!
Yes, so my friend's main justification for his way of thinking is the mechanical scales. He says that mechanical scales work in exactly the same way as my example, and therefore he can't be wrong. He also said that the location of the masses in relation to the pivot don't matter, which I disagree with.

So on this picture, it would level up like a mechanical scale, as you mentioned in the post above:
Test_Below.png

However, what would happen if the mass is above the lever? Let's assume this situation, let's say that the mass is attached completely stiff, on some hard metal bars or something. Would it also level itself?
Test_Above.png

His explanation for the always balancing weight and weight balancing when over the lever was that these scales wouldn't work otherwise:
scaleX.png
waga-szalkowa-metalowa-500-g-z-odwaznikami.jpg

I am not an expert, but I think these scales work in exactly the same way, they just shift location where each of the weights are applied toward the bottom of the scale, which is hidden inside, but the actual centre of mass is still below the lever.

Fury22 said:
However, what would happen if the mass is above the lever? Let's assume this situation, let's say that the mass is attached completely stiff, on some hard metal bars or something. Would it also level itself?
View attachment 338533

Your assumed situation (if you manage to keep each bar-weight perfectly vertical) would be a neutral balance: it should remain in the position your hands let it go.

Note how a real-world situation is a non-stable balance, as the left side lever (and its moment) grows as the system tilts counter-clockwise.

Non-stable balance.jpg

Yeah, we assume the "perfect" scenario of course. In your example it would still stay to the left, because the arm on the left is longer, so more force is on the left.

Drakkith said:
The lever should stay still since there is no net force, and thus no net torque.
No net force doesn't imply no net torque, so I would skip the "thus" here.

Last edited:
Fury22 said:
He says that mechanical scales work in exactly the same way as my example, and therefore he can't be wrong. He also said that the location of the masses in relation to the pivot don't matter, which I disagree with.
The video below addresses exactly the misconception he has:

Great video. It would be awesome to see similar one, but if the weights are not below the lever, but actually above.

Fury22 said:
Great video. It would be awesome to see similar one, but if the weights are not below the lever, but actually above.
If the center of mass is above the pivot, it is unstable and any deviation from horizontal will increase.

Likes Lnewqban
What if it's exactly at the pivot?

Fury22 said:
What if it's exactly at the pivot?
If the center of mass is at the pivot, then it's neutral, so a deviation from horizontal will neither decrease nor increase, just stay as it is.

Likes Lnewqban
Fury22 said:
Yeah, we assume the "perfect" scenario of course. In your example it would still stay to the left, because the arm on the left is longer, so more force is on the left. the net moment is CCW.
The net moment is the addition of the CW (right force x right lever) and CCW (left force x left lever) moments.
Note that what I call lever is always the perpendicular distance between the line of action of the force and the pivot.
That is the only thing that the geometry of each assembly makes change while tilting (except in the case of neutral balance).

Non-stable balance 1.jpg
Stable balance.jpg
Neutral balance.jpg

Likes Fury22, jrmichler and A.T.
A.T. said:
No net force doesn't imply no net torque, so I would skip the "thus" here.
How so?

Lnewqban said:
The net moment is the addition of the CW (right force x right lever) and CCW (left force x left lever) moments.
Note that what I call lever is always the perpendicular distance between the line of action of the force and the pivot.
That is the only thing that the geometry of each assembly makes change while tilting (except in the case of neutral balance).

View attachment 338574View attachment 338575View attachment 338576
Wow! This show the problem very, very clearly! Thanks for that explanation!

Likes Lnewqban

1. How does lever balancing physics affect gameplay in video game design?

Lever balancing physics in video game design can significantly impact gameplay by adding a layer of realism and challenge. Players must strategically adjust the position and weight of objects on a lever to achieve balance, which can require problem-solving skills and critical thinking.

2. What are some common examples of lever balancing physics in video games?

Common examples of lever balancing physics in video games include puzzles where players must balance platforms or objects on a lever to progress, or simulations where players must adjust the weight distribution of a vehicle to maintain balance while driving.

3. How can developers implement realistic lever balancing physics in their games?

Developers can implement realistic lever balancing physics in their games by accurately modeling the forces and mechanics involved in balancing objects on a lever. This may involve using physics engines or algorithms to calculate weight distribution, friction, and other factors that affect balance.

4. What are some challenges developers face when incorporating lever balancing physics into video game design?

Some challenges developers may face when incorporating lever balancing physics into video game design include ensuring that the physics calculations are accurate and realistic, balancing gameplay difficulty to provide a challenge without being frustrating, and optimizing performance to handle complex physics simulations.

5. How can players improve their skills in leveraging balancing physics in video games?

Players can improve their skills in leveraging balancing physics in video games by practicing and experimenting with different strategies for achieving balance. This may involve understanding how weight distribution and positioning affect balance, as well as developing problem-solving skills to overcome challenging puzzles or obstacles.