Force exerted by hand on a lever

In summary: Keep in mind that in Engineering, we look at the whole problem to figure out the best solution. Absolutely!
Vagulus
Is there a generally accepted ball-park figure for the force a human can apply to a lever? Obviously, I am not thinking of an Olympic weight-lifter or of my three-year-old granddaughter - just the turning moment generated by the 'average' person standing up and pulling/pushing on an horizontal lever.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'd say a reasonable amount is 60 pounds force or so for 1 hand. Maybe 100 if you use both hands, for a short period of time. You could jerk it and momentarily get a lot more (think of trying to loosen a bolt, or pulling a nail out of a board.

Likes berkeman
Google found..

https://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/ergonomics/push1.html

What are the force limits for horizontal pushing and pulling?
The values in Table 1 show the upper limits of forces for horizontal pushing and pulling. These limits should not be exceeded in work situations.

Table 1 suggests someone pushing or pulling something like a truck or cart shouldn't exceed 225 N (50 lbf)

To back up the estimates by @scottdave I looked at typical car wheel lugnut torques, since we all need to be able to change our car tires by hand (or have a AAA card...).

http://www.hispecwheel.com/files/LugNutTorque.pdf

Depending on the size of the lugnut, they list 90-160 foot pounds, which for an 18" breaker bar is 60-107 pounds of force. :smile:

Last edited:
Likes scottdave
Thanks, folks. berkeman hit the nail on the head. Using a torque wrench is almost exactly the situation I have in mind for this problem.

Thanks again to all for your prompt response.

Likes berkeman
Vagulus said:
Thanks, folks. berkeman hit the nail on the head. Using a torque wrench is almost exactly the situation I have in mind for this problem.
Glad that all the responses helped.

Keep in mind that in Engineering, we look at the whole problem to figure out the best solution. You did not post your application (and if it is proprietary we will not pry), but the best overall solution often involves other considerations.

For example, you can get a higher force if you can use your body weight safely (no back stress issues). You can get a higher force if you can push-pull with your two arms. You can get a higher peak force as @scottdave said if you can apply an impulse to get things started, etc.

Likes Vagulus
berkeman said:
Keep in mind that in Engineering, we look at the whole problem to figure out the best solution.

Certainly, Engineering is holistic.

berkeman said:
You did not post your application (and if it is proprietary we will not pry), but the best overall solution often involves other considerations.

In this case, the application is almost exactly what the first post said - an average bloke pulling on a lever :smile:

berkeman said:
For example, you can get a higher force if you can use your body weight safely (no back stress issues).

I wholeheartedly agree. Safety is priority. :bow:

It is a delight to me that people in this forum take the holistic view rather than only the "pure mathematics" aspect. It's a special delight because I am working in engineering but suffering from very limited mathematical ability (teflon brain o0)). I look forward to future discussions.

Likes berkeman and scottdave

Related to Force exerted by hand on a lever

1. What is force exerted by hand on a lever?

Force exerted by hand on a lever is the amount of physical effort applied by a person's hand to move or manipulate a lever. It is typically measured in units of newtons (N).

2. How is force exerted by hand on a lever calculated?

Force exerted by hand on a lever can be calculated using the formula F = Wd, where F is the force in newtons, W is the weight of the object being lifted, and d is the distance from the pivot point of the lever to the point where the force is applied.

3. What factors can affect the force exerted by hand on a lever?

The force exerted by hand on a lever can be affected by the length of the lever, the position of the applied force, the weight of the object being lifted, and the angle at which the force is applied.

4. How does the direction of the applied force affect the force exerted by hand on a lever?

The direction of the applied force can greatly affect the force exerted by hand on a lever. If the force is applied in the same direction as the movement of the lever, the force exerted will be greater. However, if the force is applied in the opposite direction of the movement, the force exerted will be less.

5. What is the principle of moments and how does it relate to force exerted by hand on a lever?

The principle of moments states that for an object to be in equilibrium, the sum of the clockwise moments must be equal to the sum of the anticlockwise moments. In terms of force exerted by hand on a lever, this means that the force applied on one side of the lever must be equal to the force applied on the other side in order for the lever to remain balanced.