Circular Motion of an amusement park ride

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
frownifdown
Messages
72
Reaction score
0
In an amusement park ride called The Roundup, passengers stand inside a 15.9 m diameter rotating ring. After the ring has acquired sufficient speed, it tilts into a vertical plane

(a) Suppose the ring rotates every 4.5 s. If a rider's mass is 69 kg, with how much force does the ring push on her at the top of the ride?

How much force the does the ring push on her at the bottom of the ride?




I tried to use Min. Force of Gravity = mv^2/r


I ended up with 8.82 m/s for velocity and I solved for the 3rd question (not included) but I'm not sure what to do with these two problems.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to draw a free-body diagram first. From this you will understand the forces acting on the rider.