Force at the end of a pivoted object

• Thread starter saltine
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary: The point is that the force and acceleration at the tip are not the same as the force and acceleration at the center of mass. The force at the tip is a result of the torque applied to the rod, and therefore must be expressed in terms of the torque and the length of the rod.
saltine

Homework Statement

(a) Find the acceleration at the tip of the length L rod
3052024622_f211f317f6.jpg

(b) Find the normal force at the hinge

Homework Equations

Moment of Inertia of rod: I = mL2/3

The Attempt at a Solution

(a)

Since the rod is rotating, there is centripetal acceleration throughout the rod. This points toward the hinge.
acen = - L ω2 er ... (1)

The fact that the rod is attached to the hinge would cancel all translational forces.

The only remaining force comes from the net torque. The net torque at the hinge is:

τnet = - τ + (L/2) mg sinθ ... (2)

The net torque is related to the angular acceleration α by the moment of inertia. And α is related to the tangential a by the rod length.

τnet = I α
atan = L α
atan = L τnet/I = (3/mL)τnet eθ ... (3)

This is counter-clockwise.

The total a is acen + atan ... (4)

(b)
The only force is mg, so the normal force at the hinge is mg (pointing up).

This seems right to me, what do you think?

Now there is a weird problem:

Suppose I also calculate the net force at the tip. Since the translational forces are cancelled, the net force at the tip comes purely from the net torque:

Ftip = τnet/L ... (5)

This force is entirely tangential. Since I also had the acceleration at the tip, I could compute the "mass" at the tip:

Ftip = mtip atip ... (6)

Now, this is completely bizzare, since F and a do not point in the same direction, and m is supposed to be 0 at the tip. What is the logical reason that (6) is not valid? (Or perhaps (5) is not valid (?))

- Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Wow! You are really tearin' this one apart. Excellent! BTW, I must admit that I would have gotten this one wrong b/c I would have forgotten to account for the centripetal acceleration. Whoops! Great job on your part! Also, I didn't actually check to see if you did the problem correctly; instead I want to address the following excellent question:

saltine said:
Ftip = τnet/L ... (5)

This force is entirely tangential. Since I also had the acceleration at the tip, I could compute the "mass" at the tip:

Ftip = mtip atip ... (6)

Now, this is completely bizzare, since F and a do not point in the same direction, and m is supposed to be 0 at the tip. What is the logical reason that (6) is not valid? (Or perhaps (5) is not valid (?))
Simply put: b/c (5) is invalid.

You are correct in thinking that, in practice, an applied torque is actually an applied linear force at a given distance and in a given direction wrt a center of rotation. However, just as in Newton's second law, where on one side of the equation you have applied forces, and on the other side of the equation you have ma, here you should treat tau_net as I x alpha, the result of the applied torque. This takes into account the object as a whole, and is not specific to any point on the rod, tip or otherwise.

A different way to look at it is that, if you are going to start talking about forces and masses at all of the specific points on the rod, then you must also account for all of the intermolecular forces that hold the rod together that make it a rod in the first place, which you have not done.

Last edited:
Thank you, I think I understand it now. When I use F = T/L in (5), the force I get is not a force that is acting on the tip, but a force that the tip has to act on other object. So when I do

F = ma ... (6)

m and a are not the mass and acceleration of the tip, but of the hypothetical object that the tip would hit if there was such an object near the tip:

3094020332_4a6c77cc7c.jpg

The ball and the rod are initially at rest. Then a torque is applied to the rod at B. What is the acceleration of the ball when the rod hits the ball?

F = T/L = ma

a = T/mL

saltine said:
3094020332_4a6c77cc7c.jpg

The ball and the rod are initially at rest. Then a torque is applied to the rod at B. What is the acceleration of the ball when the rod hits the ball?

F = T/L = ma

a = T/mL
Basically, yes. Of course, if the rod is massive, then you have to account for that as well ...

1. What is the force at the end of a pivoted object?

The force at the end of a pivoted object is the amount of energy or push that is applied to the end of an object that is attached to a pivot point. It is the force that causes the object to rotate around the pivot point.

2. How is the force at the end of a pivoted object calculated?

The force at the end of a pivoted object can be calculated using the equation F = r x Fp, where F is the force at the end of the object, r is the distance from the pivot point to the end of the object, and Fp is the force applied at the pivot point.

3. What factors affect the force at the end of a pivoted object?

The force at the end of a pivoted object is affected by several factors, including the distance from the pivot point to the end of the object, the force applied at the pivot point, and the weight and mass of the object.

4. How does the force at the end of a pivoted object change with different pivot points?

The force at the end of a pivoted object will change depending on the location of the pivot point. If the pivot point is moved closer to the end of the object, the force at the end will increase. If the pivot point is moved further away, the force at the end will decrease.

5. What are some real-life examples of the force at the end of a pivoted object?

The force at the end of a pivoted object can be seen in many everyday objects, such as a seesaw, a lever, or a door handle. It is also used in more complex machines, such as a crane or a balance scale.