Force between 2 parallel plates

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the force between two parallel sheets of conducting metal with charges Q1 and Q2 on them. Gauss' law can be used to find the electric field strength between the plates, which can then be multiplied by the charge of the other plate to find the force. This method is based on the superposition principle.
khfrekek1992

Homework Statement

Two parallel sheets of conducting metal are very close to each other (A>>d), they have charges of Q1 and Q2 on them. What is the force between these two plates?

Homework Equations

Gauss' Law

The Attempt at a Solution

From what I understand, you can use Gauss' law to calculate the field between the plates, but I don't know how to go about doing this. Any suggestions?

Thanks so much in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Start with one plate and use Gauss to calculate the electric field (like in Delphi's first link).
Then add the second plate and use the superposition principle, meaning you can simply add the electric field of both plates.

khfrekek1992 said:

Homework Statement

Two parallel sheets of conducting metal are very close to each other (A>>d), they have charges of Q1 and Q2 on them. What is the force between these two plates?

You gave hints to get the electric field strength between the plates. Is not the force between the plates asked?

ehild

@ehild: Yep, you're right. :)

So take one plate, say Q1, and calculate the electric field.
Then multiply by the charge of the other plate Q2.
The result is the force (F=qE) that Q1 exerts on Q2.

Wow! Thank you so much Delphi51, I Like Serena, and ehild! This makes so much sense now, the problem is a lot easier than I thought it would be... (Sorry I wasn't on for so long after I posted the question.) But thank you so much for all the help! That helps so much! :) You guys rock!

1. What is the force between two parallel plates?

The force between two parallel plates is known as the electrostatic force. It is the force that exists between two charged objects, and it is caused by the attraction or repulsion of the electric charges on the objects.

2. How is the force between two parallel plates calculated?

The force between two parallel plates can be calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the charges on the plates and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. What factors affect the force between two parallel plates?

The force between two parallel plates is affected by the magnitude of the charges on the plates, the distance between them, and the dielectric constant of the material between the plates.

4. How does the distance between two parallel plates affect the force?

The force between two parallel plates is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the plates increases, the force decreases, and as the distance decreases, the force increases.

5. Can the force between two parallel plates be attractive and repulsive?

Yes, the force between two parallel plates can be either attractive or repulsive depending on the charges on the plates. If the charges are of the same sign, the force will be repulsive, and if the charges are of opposite signs, the force will be attractive.