Force between two uniformly charged rods

In summary, the conversation discusses two identical rods with charges +Q on the x-axis, one centered at (0,0) and the other at (b,0). The question asks about the force exerted by the left rod on the right rod, and the person has an understanding of how to solve this type of problem. They have determined the formula F = k(Q^2)/4(a^2) * int[dx dx / x^2], but are unsure of the limits of integration. They also ask about the relationship between electric field and force on a charge, and how it can be applied in this question. The solution involves finding the field due to the first rod at a point on the second rod, using an
skiboka33
I have two identical rods with length 2a with charges +Q.

Both rods are on the x axis. One is centered at (0,0) so that it ranges from (-a to a) and then other has a center at (b,0) which ranges from
(b-a to b+a). The question asks what is the force exerted by the left rod on the right rod.

Now I have an understanding of how to do these types of problems. For example if the left rod was a (0,0) point charge I would have no problem with this question.

I determined that F = k(Q^2)/4(a^2) * int[dx dx / x^2] if that is correct? Is this a double integral, and if so, what should my limits of integration be?
Is it two integrals from -a to a and b-a to b+a? Or an integral with limits b-2a to b+2a in which case i don't know what to do with the 2nd dx.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Anything would help, I don't need the problem solved for me, just some concepts cleared up. Thanks.

What is the relation between the Electric field at a point and the force experienced by a charge at that point?
Can you see how you can apply that concept in this question?

To elaborate a tad bit : Chose a point on the second rod. Find the field due to the entire first rod at this point (by integrating over the length of the first rod). Now select an element centered on this point and find the cherge on it. That tells you the force on this element. From here, find the force on the entire second rod.

1. What is the formula for calculating the force between two uniformly charged rods?

The formula for calculating the force between two uniformly charged rods is F = (k x q1 x q2) / d2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the two rods, and d is the distance between them.

2. How does the distance between the two rods affect the force between them?

The force between the two rods is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance increases, the force decreases and vice versa.

3. What is the unit of force in this scenario?

The unit of force in this scenario is Newtons (N), which is the standard unit of force in the International System of Units (SI).

4. How does the charge of the rods affect the force between them?

The force between the two rods is directly proportional to the product of their charges. This means that as the charges increase, the force also increases and vice versa.

5. Can the force between two uniformly charged rods be repulsive?

Yes, the force between two uniformly charged rods can be either attractive or repulsive, depending on the charges of the rods. If the charges are of the same sign, the force will be repulsive, and if they are of opposite signs, the force will be attractive.