Force between two uniformly charged identical rods

In summary, the problem involves two identical thin rods with length 2a and equal charges +Q uniformly distributed along their lengths. The rods are positioned along the x-axis with their centers separated by a distance b > 2a. The force, F, exerted by the left rod on the right one can be calculated using the equation F = \frac{k Q^2}{4a^2} \ln \frac{b^2}{b^2 -4a^2}. This equation takes into account the electric field produced by rod 1 at a point x > 2a and accounts for the infinitesimal contributions of Q2. By finding the electric field at x = b, the force on rod 2
j0n

Homework Statement

Identical thin rods of length 2a carry equal charges, +Q, uniformly distributed along their lengths. The rods lie along the x-axis with their centers separated by a distance b > 2a. Find the force, F, exerted by the left rod on the right one.

Left rod's center @ (0,0) → rod stretches from (-a,0) to (a,0)
Right rod's center @ (b,0) → rod stretches from (b-a, 0) to (b+a, 0)

Homework Equations

They give that

[tex] F = \frac{k Q^2}{4 a^2} \ln \frac{b^2}{b^2 -4a^2} [/tex]

Also we know that [tex] λ = \frac{Q}{2a} = \frac{dQ}{dx} , \space and \space Q = Q_1 = Q_2 [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Electric field produced by rod 1 at a point x > 2a:

[tex] E_1(x) = \int \frac{k}{χ^2}dQ = \int_{x-a}^{x+a} \frac{k}{χ^2} λ dχ = \int_{x-a}^{x+a} \frac{k}{χ^2} \frac{Q_1}{2a} dχ = \frac{k Q_1}{2a} \int_{x-a}^{x+a} \frac{dχ}{χ^2} [/tex]
[tex] = \frac{k Q_1}{x^2 - a^2} [/tex]

Now I understand that FTOT = Ʃ qiE1(xi),
where qi are the infinitesimal contributions of Q2 (= Q).

So shouldn't I have [tex] F = \int_{x-a}^{x+a} E_1(χ) λ dχ ? [/tex]

If so then I have:

[tex] F = \int_{x-a}^{x+a} \frac{k Q_1}{χ^2 - a^2} \frac{Q_2}{2a} dχ [/tex]
[tex] = \frac{k Q^2}{2a}\int_{x-a}^{x+a} \frac {dχ}{χ^2 - a^2} [/tex]

And I'm stuck.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
By the way I used chi (χ) as a dummy variable when integrating since I wanted to obtain E as a function of position along the x-axis.

Thus, [tex] E_1(x= b) = \frac{k Q_1}{b^2-a^2} [/tex]

Edit:

I think I might've solve it now. Instead of cancelling 2a out when I calculated E1(x), I just left it.

So then [tex] E_1(x) = \frac{k Q_1}{2a} (\frac{1}{x-a} - \frac{1}{x+a}) [/tex]

Then in finding the Force on rod 2 my range of integration should specifically be from b-a to b+a (not x-a to x+a).

So, [tex] F = \frac{k Q^2}{4a^2}\int_{b-a}^{b+a} (\frac{1}{χ-a} - \frac{1}{χ+a}) dχ [/tex]

Last edited:

1. What is the mathematical formula for calculating the force between two uniformly charged identical rods?

The mathematical formula for calculating the force between two uniformly charged identical rods is F = k * (Q1 * Q2) / d^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q1 and Q2 are the charges of the two rods, and d is the distance between them.

2. How does the distance between the two rods affect the force between them?

The force between two uniformly charged identical rods is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance increases, the force decreases, and vice versa.

3. Can the force between two uniformly charged identical rods be attractive?

Yes, the force between two uniformly charged identical rods can be attractive. This occurs when the two rods have opposite charges (one positive and one negative), and the force acts towards each other.

4. How does the magnitude of the charges on the two rods affect the force between them?

The magnitude of the charges on the two rods directly affects the force between them. As the charges increase, the force between them also increases. Similarly, if the charges decrease, the force decreases.

5. Can the force between two uniformly charged identical rods be repulsive?

Yes, the force between two uniformly charged identical rods can be repulsive. This occurs when the two rods have the same charge (both positive or both negative), and the force acts away from each other.