1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force between two uniformly charged identical rods

1. Apr 21, 2012 #1

j0n

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Identical thin rods of length 2a carry equal charges, +Q, uniformly distributed along their lengths. The rods lie along the x axis with their centers separated by a distance b > 2a. Find the force, F, exerted by the left rod on the right one.

Left rod's center @ (0,0) → rod stretches from (-a,0) to (a,0)
    Right rod's center @ (b,0) → rod stretches from (b-a, 0) to (b+a, 0)

2. Relevant equations
    They give that

[tex] F = \frac{k Q^2}{4 a^2} \ln \frac{b^2}{b^2 -4a^2} [/tex]

Also we know that [tex] λ = \frac{Q}{2a} = \frac{dQ}{dx} , \space and \space Q = Q_1 = Q_2 [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Electric field produced by rod 1 at a point x > 2a:

[tex] E_1(x) = \int \frac{k}{χ^2}dQ = \int_{x-a}^{x+a} \frac{k}{χ^2} λ dχ = \int_{x-a}^{x+a} \frac{k}{χ^2} \frac{Q_1}{2a} dχ = \frac{k Q_1}{2a} \int_{x-a}^{x+a} \frac{dχ}{χ^2} [/tex]
    [tex] = \frac{k Q_1}{x^2 - a^2} [/tex]

Now I understand that FTOT = Ʃ qiE1(xi),
    where qi are the infinitesimal contributions of Q2 (= Q).

So shouldn't I have [tex] F = \int_{x-a}^{x+a} E_1(χ) λ dχ ? [/tex]

If so then I have:

[tex] F = \int_{x-a}^{x+a} \frac{k Q_1}{χ^2 - a^2} \frac{Q_2}{2a} dχ [/tex]
    [tex] = \frac{k Q^2}{2a}\int_{x-a}^{x+a} \frac {dχ}{χ^2 - a^2} [/tex]

And I'm stuck.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2012 #2

j0n

By the way I used chi (χ) as a dummy variable when integrating since I wanted to obtain E as a function of position along the x-axis.

Thus, [tex] E_1(x= b) = \frac{k Q_1}{b^2-a^2} [/tex]

Edit:

I think I might've solve it now. Instead of cancelling 2a out when I calculated E1(x), I just left it.

So then [tex] E_1(x) = \frac{k Q_1}{2a} (\frac{1}{x-a} - \frac{1}{x+a}) [/tex]

Then in finding the Force on rod 2 my range of integration should specifically be from b-a to b+a (not x-a to x+a).

So, [tex] F = \frac{k Q^2}{4a^2}\int_{b-a}^{b+a} (\frac{1}{χ-a} - \frac{1}{χ+a}) dχ [/tex]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook