Force due to two thin charged rods acting on each other

In summary, the problem discusses two thin rods of length L with the same uniform linear charge distribution separated by a distance a in the x-axis. The equations used to solve the problem are Coulomb's law for electric field and force. The solution involves finding the electric field at a point a due to the first rod and then integrating to find the force on the second rod. The attempt at a solution involves using incorrect integration limits and not accounting for the infinitesimal elements correctly. The problem also mentions a discrepancy in the answer due to incorrect use of exponents, and the need for more practice with these types of problems.
Vriska

Homework Statement

I have 2 thin rods of length L in the axial plane(x axis), they're of the same uniform linear charge distribution and are separated by a distance a .

Homework Equations

$$E = \frac{kq} {R^2}$$
$$F = qE$$

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Let 0 be one at one end of the two rod systems such that the first rod terminate at L and the other rod begins at L+ a.

Then field E due to first rod at some point a =
$$\int \frac{\lambda k dx}{(L + a - x)^2} $$ evaluated from x = 0 to x = L. This is $$\frac{L}{a(L+a)}$$. Now I find the force on the second charge $$ dF = E'(x) dq$$ we note here that E'(x) = E(a +x) integrating this from 0 to L. gives you the wrong answer : (

Ps. Where can I find more of these infinitismal problems for practice?

Physics news on Phys.org
Vriska said:
Then field E due to first rod at some point a =
$$\int \frac{\lambda k dx}{(L + a - x)^2} $$
a is not some arbitrary point. Your integrand appears to be the field at the start of the second rod due to the first rod, i.e. its field at L+a.
You need the field due to the first rod at an arbitrary point within the second rod.

haruspex said:
a is not some arbitrary point. Your integrand appears to be the field at the start of the second rod due to the first rod, i.e. its field at L+a.
You need the field due to the first rod at an arbitrary point within the second rod.

It's the field at the start of the second rod but I'm increasing the distance a by some dx and summing it till 2L+a. Why isn't it the same as an arbitrary point when I can increase it like this?

Ps. Would you also know where I can find more of these problems? Or perhaps what these are even called?

Vriska said:
I'm increasing the distance a by some dx
Not that I can see. You increased x by dx, which is valid, but a is a constant, so you cannot increase that. Increase in a would be by da, and I only see one integration stage.
To get the force on the second rod, you need to find the force on each part of the rod. There will be two integration stages.
Consider an element dx at x from the start of the first rod and the field it generates at y from the start of the second rod.

Vriska said:
It's the field at the start of the second rod but I'm increasing the distance a by some dx and summing it till 2L+a
haruspex said:
Not that I can see. You increased x by dx, which is valid, but a is a constant, so you cannot increase that. Increase in a would be by da, and I only see one integration stage.
To get the force on the second rod, you need to find the force on each part of the rod. There will be two integration stages.
Consider an element dx at x from the start of the first rod and the field it generates at y from the start of the second rod.

But that's just adding a + y in the denominator of the integral, it's equivalent to E'(x) > E(x+a). I'm getting the same result. After looking at the answer in my book I notice it has $$ log(\frac{[L]^2}{[L]^3}) $$ term. I think exponentials do not accept dimensional arguments. Am I right in my assessment?

Also please tell me what these problems are called if you know.

Last edited:
Vriska said:
But that's just adding a + y in the denominator of the integral,
Yes, for the first integral. But then you have a second integral to do.
Please post the detailed steps.

Field due to the first rod on an infinitesimal line element at a point ##(x',0)## will be
$$E(x') = \int_0^{L} \frac{k\lambda dx}{(x'-x)^2}$$

Force on the second rod due to the first one will be
$$F = \int_{L+a}^{2L+a} \lambda E(x') dx'$$

Last edited:
Field due to the first rod on an infinitesimal line element at a point ##(x',0)## will be
$$E(x') = \int_0^{L} \frac{k\lambda dx}{(x'-x)^2}$$

Force on the second rod due to the first one will be
$$F = \int_{L+a}^{2L+a} \lambda E(x') dx'$$

What is the equation for calculating the force between two charged rods?

The force between two charged rods can be calculated using the formula F = (k * q1 * q2) / d^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the rods, and d is the distance between them.

How does the distance between the two charged rods affect the force between them?

The force between two charged rods is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the rods increases, the force decreases and vice versa.

Can the force between two charged rods be attractive or repulsive?

The force between two charged rods can be either attractive or repulsive, depending on the polarity of the charges. Like charges (positive and positive or negative and negative) will repel each other, while opposite charges (positive and negative) will attract each other.

How does the magnitude of the charges affect the force between two charged rods?

The greater the magnitude of the charges on the rods, the stronger the force between them will be. This is because the force is directly proportional to the product of the charges.

What is the direction of the force between two charged rods?

The direction of the force is along the line connecting the two rods, and it depends on the polarity of the charges. If the charges are the same, the force will be repulsive and directed away from the other rod. If the charges are opposite, the force will be attractive and directed towards the other rod.