Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B "Force Coupling" and "Force Decoupling"

1. Nov 4, 2016 #1
    When I Google this, I find nothing straight forward. What is "force coupling" and what is "force decoupling"? Here are things I've found online that don't seem to match up.

I see that a "force couple" is a way of applying force to a body so as to generate spin without causing translation through space, but here the word "couple" is a noun, where as, in the term "force coupling," "coupling" is a noun, making "couple" a verb.

I also understand that "decoupling" is what led to the CMB and the CNB. But this uses the word "decoupling" as a name for a type of event in the history of the universe, and what's more is these events are more specifically called "photon decoupling" and "neutrino decoupling," not "force decoupling."

So what exactly are "force coupling" and "force decoupling?"

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2016 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

A "couple" is a pair of forces that produce a rotation without a translation of a body.
    "X coupling" usually refers to the connection between X and something else... for instance, the gravitational force is "coupled" to mass... it just means it is fundamentally related to. Decoupling would be "making unrelated to".
    You seem to be interested in coupling/decoupling with respect to cosmology ... so google "force decoupling cosmology".

4. Nov 5, 2016 #3
    Thank you so much for your response :) So I'd be using the term correctly if I were to say that the electromagnetic force is coupled to charge? Or that the strong force is coupled to "color"? (Not sure if my last statement is technically true)

5. Nov 5, 2016 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted