1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Force due to a uniformly charged ring

1. Jan 15, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A uniformly charged ring has a radius a, lies in a horizontal plane, and has a negative charge given by -Q. A small particle of mass m has a positive charge given by q. The small particle is located on the axis of the ring.

What is the minimum value of q/m such that the particle will be in equilibrium under the action of gravity and the electrostatic force? (Use the following variables as necessary: a, k, Q, and g.)?

2. Relevant equations

I let x = the distance the charge is from the center of the ring.

[tex]E[/tex]=[tex]\frac{kQx}{\sqrt{a^2+x^2}^{3}}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I started by saying that "mg" must be equal to:

[tex]\frac{kQxq}{\sqrt{a^2+x^2}^{3}}[/tex]

However, I cannot eliminate the x variable from the problem. Am I missing something or do I have the wrong approach altogether?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2010 #2

ehild

Homework Helper

You do not need to eliminate x. Express q/m as function of x from the condition qE=mg, and find where this function has its minimum.

ehild

4. Jan 15, 2010 #3
    I can express q/m as a function of x however it is also a function of several other variables which have no numerical values. How do I go about finding a minimum for the function algebraically?

5. Jan 15, 2010 #4

ehild

Homework Helper

"Use the following variables as necessary: a, k, Q, and g".

You need to give a formula, not a number.

ehild

6. Jan 15, 2010 #5
    Okay. But how do I find a formula for the minimum using only the variables a, k, Q, and g? I tried to take a derivative (thinking I may be able to then find a local minimum) but it got really nasty.

Am I missing something? - Another way to find the minimum?

7. Jan 16, 2010 #6

ehild

Homework Helper

[tex]mg = \frac{kQxq}{\sqrt{a^2+x^2}^{3}} \rightarrow q/m= \frac{g}{kQ}\frac{(x^2+a^2)^{3/2}}{x}[/tex]

Find the position of minimum of the function.

[tex]f(x)=\frac{(x^2+a^2)^{3/2}}{x}[/tex]

Replace back this x into the formula for q/m.

ehild

8. Jan 16, 2010 #7
    I got it! I had to grunt it out and it turns out the answer was not that pretty but it was correct nonetheless. Thanks for your help!

9. Jan 16, 2010 #8

ehild

Homework Helper

Congratulation! It was not easy to get the result, but you did it!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook