1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force due to Solar Radiation and Gravity

1. Sep 22, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a small, spherical particle of radius r located in space a distance R = 3.75 × 1011-m from the Sun. Assume the particle has a perfectly absorbing surface and a mass density of ρ = 3.8-g/cm3. Use S = 214 W/m2 as the value of the solar intensity at the location of the particle. Calculate the value of r for which the particle is in equilibrium between the gravitational force and the force exerted by solar radiation. The mass of the Sun is 2.0 × 1030-kg.

2. Relevant equations
    F(g)=Gm1m2/r2

mass of particle equals mass density/Volume=3800/(4/3*Pi*r2)

F(Solar)=C*S*I/c
    where C=1 due to complete absorption, S equals cross-sectional area (Pi*[rSUP]2[/SUP]), c equals speed of light

3. The attempt at a solution
    F(Solar)=F(g)

Pi*r2/3e8=6.67e-11*2e30*3800/(3.75e11*4/3*Pi*r3)

r=790238.5

Have I used the right Solar radiation equation?

Does this look right?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2015 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Check that formula. Does mass really get smaller as the volume of the material gets larger?
    Nope. Besides the issue with the mass expression noted above, I don't see where the solar constant S is involved in your calculation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted