1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Force exerted by a magnetic field

1. Feb 23, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a 10cm long straight wire is parallel with the z axis and carries a current of 4.0A in the +z direction. The force on this wire due to a uniform magnetic field B is -0.20N i+0.20N j. If this wire is rotated so that it is parallel with the x axis with the current in the +x direction, the force on the wire becomes 0.20N k. Find B.

2. Relevant equations
    F=I(LxB)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I rearranged the equation so B=F/(IxL). I plugged all of the numbers in but I dont understand how to do the dot product if I is not a vector. Can I use some kind of dot product between F and L?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2010 #2

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think you mean cross product, but anyway...

I think you can solve this problem by getting more detailed with what the cross product actually is.

One of the equations you've listed is

[tex] \vec F=I(\vec L \times \vec B) [/tex].

Being more explicit with the cross product, this is the same thing as:

[tex] \vec F = I\left( \left|
    \begin{tabular}{ l c r }
    i & j & k \\
    L_x & L_y & L_z \\
    B_x & B_y & B_z \\
    \end{tabular}
    \right| \right) [/tex]

where the thing inside of the parenthesis represents the determinant of the matrix.

What makes this problem a lot easier, is that some of the L components are zero in the first case, and other components are zero in the second case. So even though it looks ugly now, it's actually pretty easy to generate a few equations to solve for Bx, By, and Bz.

4. Feb 24, 2010 #3
    Yes I did mean the cross product. Thank you very much this helped a lot!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook