1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic force on current carrying wire

1. Apr 1, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A wire along the z-axis carries a current of 6.8 A in the +z direction. Find the magnitude and direction of the force exerted on a 6.1-cm long length of the wire by a uniform magnetic field with magnitude 0.36 T in the -x direction.

2. Relevant equations
    F=I(LxB)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Now i already know the answer but i am confused as to what the direction the Force, field, and length are. I know this equation is dealing with cross product but if someone could explain to me in detail the direction of the Force (F), the field (B), and the length (L).

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2017 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

4. Apr 1, 2017 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

What do you think the directions are, and why, and what questions/doubts do you have about them? Then we can verify/correct your answers, and address your specific questions about them.

5. Apr 1, 2017 #4
    Thanks
    So if im reading right the direction of the Force is perpendicular to both the length and the magnetic field.
    The length is in direction of the current in the wire
    The field is?

6. Apr 1, 2017 #5

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Correct.
    Correct.
    Perpendicular to both the length and the force.

7. Apr 1, 2017 #6
    Thanks a lot

8. Apr 1, 2017 #7

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Looks to me like they tell you the direction of the field. :oldconfused:
    (and the direction of the current)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted