Force from a Hemispherical shell

• Archived
  • Thread starter Emspak
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force Shell
In summary, In summary, a student is working on a problem involving a spherical shell with a particle at a certain position and is trying to understand the solution provided by their professor/TA. They are trying to find the force exerted on the particle by the smaller hemisphere of the shell and the center of mass of that hemisphere. They also discuss their attempt at solving the problem and ask for clarification on their solution steps. They receive feedback on potential errors in their approach and are provided with the correct integral and limits.
Emspak
This might be more of a notational issue, I am working on this problem and just trying to figure out what my prof/ TA did in the solution sheet -- but also to make sure I understand what I am doing.

Homework Statement

Given a spherical shell of radius R and surface density σ, and a particle at position a from the center where 0<a<R. Assume the position a is along the z (vertical) axis.

What is the force on the particle from the smaller hemisphere, described by the part that extends from the top (at z=R) down to where the particle is (at z=a) and where is the center of mass of that hemisphere?

I am using θ as the angle between the origin and the point on the shell that intersects a line drawn through a that is perpendicular to the z axis. (I wish I knew how to post a diagram here, that would make it easier I think, but I hope people get the idea).

Repeat for the larger part of the shell.

The Attempt at a Solution

Now, I know intuitively (and from the symmetry principle) that the rings, each with a mass of dM = 2πRsinθRdθ will exert a net zero force in the x-y plane as we are assuming symmetry here.

So, I only need the force in the z-direction. (By the way I do understand that with a shell you get zero net force and I know how to do that one, this is a bit different).

Anyhow, I want to know the total mass of the smaller part of the shell. That's going to be an integral from 0 to θ. Since the radius of the strip is R cosθ, and the force vector is along the z-axis, I should get this:

[tex]
\int dF_z = \int_0^{\theta} \frac{Gm2\pi R \sin \theta R d \theta}{r^2}\cos\theta [/tex]

where r is the distance from my particle at a to the piece of the shell I want. So far so good.

Now, the distance r is going to be determined by the law of cosines, if I want to get it in terms of θ. So I can say [itex]r^2 = a^2 + R^2 - 2aR \cos \theta[/itex].

I'm also multiplying stuff by the cosθ which in tems of R and a is [itex]\frac{R^2+a^2-r^2}{2aR}[/itex]

If I differentiate [itex]r^2[/itex] -- because I am setting up an integral here -- I get [itex]2rdr = 2aR \sin \theta d \theta[/itex]. A little algebra gets me [itex] \sin \theta d \theta = \frac{2rdr}{2aR} = \frac{rdr}{aR}[/itex] and I should be able to plug that back into the integral and get:

[tex]
\int dF_z = \sigma Gm2\pi R^2 \int_0^{\theta} \frac{rdr}{aR} \frac{1}{r^2} \frac{R^2+a^2-r^2}{2aR} [/tex]

and we have to change the limits, which here would be arccos(a/R) so I have:

[tex]
\int dF_z = \sigma Gm2\pi R^2 \int_0^{\cos^{-1} \frac{a}{R}} \frac{rdr}{aR} \frac{1}{r^2} \frac{R^2+a^2-r^2}{2aR} = \sigma Gm\pi \int_0^{\cos^{-1} \frac{a}{R}} \frac{rdr}{a^2} \frac{1}{r^2} (R^2+a^2-r^2)[/tex]
[tex]= \sigma Gm\pi \int_0^{\cos^{-1} \frac{a}{R}} \frac{R^2+a^2-r^2}{a^2} \frac{1}{r} dr = \frac{\sigma Gm\pi}{a^2} \int_0^{\cos^{-1} \frac{a}{R}} \frac{R^2+a^2-r^2}{r} dr[/tex] and because [itex] \sigma = \frac{M}{4 \pi R^2}[/itex] the integral looks like:

[tex]= \frac{M Gm}{4R^2a^2} \int_0^{\cos^{-1} \frac{a}{R}} \frac{R^2+a^2-r^2}{r} dr[/tex]

So my question is, how am I doing so far? I feel like there is something I am missing -- because the answer sheet says that I should get [tex]\frac{M Gm}{4Ra^2}2(\sqrt{R^2-a^2}-2R[/tex]

and I am not entirely sure if I got the final integral right. I don't think I did...

thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
The error is a confusion over the angle theta.
Let the centre of the full sphere be O and the particle be at P. Consider a point Q on the band of the sphere distance r from P. According to the equation ##r^2=R^2+a^2-2aR\cos(\theta)##, theta is the angle POQ. The force from the element at Q exerted at P is in the direction PQ, not in the direct OQ. Thus, to get the component along the line OP we need to multiply by the cosine of pi - angle QPO, not the cosine of angle theta. That is, the cos(theta) factor needs to be changed to ##\frac{R\cos(\theta)-a}r##.

There are also some errors in the limits. In the first integral, theta is both the variable of integration and the upper limit. That's a common 'pun' in indefinite integrals, but here we want a definite integral. The upper limit should be ##\arccos(a/R)##. Later that limit is shown, but now the variable of integration is r, so the limits should change to reflect that.

Last edited:

1. What is "Force from a Hemispherical shell"?

"Force from a Hemispherical shell" refers to the force exerted on an object by a hemispherical shell due to the gravitational pull of the object.

2. What is the formula for calculating the force from a hemispherical shell?

The formula for calculating the force from a hemispherical shell is F = (3GMm)/(2R^2), where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the hemispherical shell, m is the mass of the object, and R is the distance between the object and the center of the shell.

3. How does the force from a hemispherical shell affect an object?

The force from a hemispherical shell acts in the direction towards the center of the shell and can cause the object to accelerate towards or away from the shell, depending on the relative positions of the object and the shell.

4. What factors affect the force from a hemispherical shell?

The force from a hemispherical shell is affected by the mass of the shell, the mass of the object, and the distance between the object and the center of the shell.

5. Can the force from a hemispherical shell be negative?

Yes, the force from a hemispherical shell can be negative if the object is located inside the shell and the force is pulling the object towards the center of the shell, instead of pushing it away.