1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force from a Kinetic Energy Function

1. Oct 23, 2013 #1
    Say you're given a function that represents the kinetic energy of some object, what would you have to do to derive the force from that function? I know that for motion along a straight line a conservative force F(x) is the negative derivative of its associated potential energy function U, but what is there to do if the function is one of kinetic energy?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Conservation of energy and the work-energy relation will be useful in such cases.
    You usually will need more information than kinetic energy with position alone.
    Do you have an example.

Note: For a conservative field, the force on an object at a position is the negative gradient of the potential energy function at that position. Motion does not have to be along a straight line.

4. Oct 23, 2013 #3
    You posted this same thing in the homework section. :confused:
    I mean the OP, of course.

5. Oct 23, 2013 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

6. Oct 23, 2013 #5
    Ok, now we have an infinite loop. :smile:
    I can go forever between the two threads, by using your links.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook