1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force magnitude from acceleration vs. mass graph?

1. Sep 15, 2015 #1
    I am a new university physics student doing some homework, but i cannot find the method for this problem.

How do I find the magnitude of a force from an acceleration vs. mass graph?

I know mass is the inverse of the slope of an acceleration vs. force graph, but I'm not sure how to do this the other way around.

Any help?
    Thank you !

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2015 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your question makes no sense. If you are plotting acceleration vs. mass, you must be plotting the response of numerous different objects (having different masses) and being subject to some forces, leading to some accelerations, possibly different for each of the different objects.

4. Sep 16, 2015 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would replot acceleration vs 1/mass.

5. Sep 16, 2015 #4
    yes. it may be multiple objects, but there is only 1 force acting on them. I'm assigned to find the magnitude of that force.

"The following figure shows the acceleration of objects of different mass that experience the same force."
    "What is the magnitude of the force? "

6. Sep 16, 2015 #5
    how would that let me find the magnitude of the force?

We just started this chapter and I guess the book assumes you know how to find the magnitude from the graph. I don't know how to do that.

7. Sep 16, 2015 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Use Newton's Second Law.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted