How to find the magnitude of Force from an A vs Mass Graph

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 5K views
Eram Ahmed
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I have attached the graph which displays Acceleration vs Mass. It shows the acceleration of objects of different mass that experience the same force. I need to get the magnitude of the force from this.​

Homework Equations



F= ma

The Attempt at a Solution


I used F=ma for this but it was incorrect. If anyone can give me the right approach to this problem, it would be really helpful![/B]
 
Attachments
  • Screen Shot 2017-06-15 at 3.40.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-06-15 at 3.40.47 PM.png
    8 KB · Views: 1,928
Physics news on Phys.org
It should be correct. Please show your working.

Perhaps check your units?
 
From the graph, I multiplied 600m*6m/s^2= 3600 Newtons. But the answer is coming out as wrong.
 
Eram Ahmed said:
600m*6m/s^2= 3600 Newtons
It's not 600m you're multiplying (m means mass in that context) it's 600g.
 
Hiero said:
It's not 600m you're multiplying (m means mass in that context) it's 600g.
Yes sorry that was a typo, I meant 600 g. So shouldn't the answer be 3600 Newtons then? F=ma?
 
Eram Ahmed said:
So shouldn't the answer be 3600 Newtons then?
No, the answer should then be 3600 g⋅m/s2
 
You could also convert mass from grams to kilograms then multiply by acceleration in m/s2 to get a numerical answer in Newtons.