Force = Mass x Acceleration + Gravity?

• Thread starter glambeth
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary: F1+F2+F3+...)=m2) when one force is bigger than the other: (F1+F2+F3+...+Fm)>mIn summary, the force due to gravity is 1/9.8 of the total force.
glambeth

Homework Statement

Well, i am wondering the impact gravity has on any word problems involving a given acceleration. For instance, if a baseball weighs 1 kg and it accelerates at 2 m/s^2 what is its force?

Homework Equations

f = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Would the force = 1 * 2 or would it equal 1(2 + 9.8) ?

additionally, in general am I going to want to add gravity to all force = ma problems? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
F=ma is actually ƩF (sum of forces) = ma

hm, so then the force would equal 1(9.8 + 2) ?

why do you put 9.8? since the given acceleration is already 2...
And in fact you need to speak for VECTORS which means that magnitude alone does not give the full information needed.
If you speak for directions, then you can know if you can "add" or not.

I'm confused whether or not you need to add gravity. I'm a high school student, taking an introductory physics course, so I am still learning the basics, but so far my professor stresses that gravity is an acceleration. So I figured you need to add it to the given acceleration. Am I completely wrong?

depends on the motion.
When someone is introducing quantities like force, acceleration, velocity, displacement , etc stops talking about magnitudes alone (like mass) but speaks about direction as well.

It is what we call vectors.

You add them when they are parallel, you take their difference when they are anti-parallel, and when they have a general angle between them you use the Pythagora's Theorem.

Last edited:
I see, well right now we're strictly doing one dimensional forces.

Still think of what happens when you throw something towards the ceiling. It will fall down because of gravity, while you gave it an initial velocity against the gravity.
What happens when you drop something towards the ground. It will fall faster. Etc.
That way you can think about - or + (antiparallel/parallel).

+ what iRaid said:
Sum of Forces= m *Sum of Accelerations

So you can divide sum of forces in its components: F1,F2,F3,... in how many you have, which are caused by the accelerations A1,A2,A3,... how many you have.

(F1+F2+F3+...)= m (A1+A2+A3+...)
here you have 2...

Related to Force = Mass x Acceleration + Gravity?

1. What is the formula for force?

The formula for force is force = mass x acceleration + gravity. This means that force is equal to the product of an object's mass and its acceleration, plus the force of gravity acting on the object.

2. How do you calculate force?

To calculate force, you need to know the mass and acceleration of an object, as well as the force of gravity acting on it. You can then use the formula force = mass x acceleration + gravity to find the force.

3. What is the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration?

The relationship between force, mass, and acceleration is described by Newton's second law of motion, which states that force is equal to the mass of an object multiplied by its acceleration. This means that the greater the mass of an object, the greater the force needed to accelerate it, and the greater the acceleration, the greater the force needed to cause it.

4. How does gravity affect force?

Gravity is a force that acts on all objects with mass. In the formula force = mass x acceleration + gravity, the force of gravity is added to the product of an object's mass and acceleration. This means that the force of gravity can either add to or counteract the force of an object's mass and acceleration.

5. What are the units for force?

The SI unit for force is the Newton (N). This unit is equivalent to 1 kilogram meter per second squared (kg∙m/s2). Other common units for force include pounds (lb) and dynes (dyn).