Newton's laws of motion -- Force of gravity on a skydiver

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of force of gravity, which is equal to mass multiplied by acceleration. The acceleration of gravity is commonly known as 9.8 m/s and in this situation, the mass is 75 kg, resulting in a force of 735 N. The question of whether the force of gravity changes when the person lands is answered as no, as it only changes if the mass changes.
kara123
Homework Statement
A 75 kg skydiver jumps out of an airplane. Calculate the force of gravity acting on him when he jumps and after he has landed. Explain any differences
Relevant Equations
Fnet=ma
I think you would do force of gravity= mass x acceleration

acceleration of gravity= 9.8 m/s
mass 75 kg
75kg x 9.8 m/s
=735 N

i don't know if that's right but i have no idea how to calculate it after he lands, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
kara123 said:
i don't know if that's right but i have no idea how to calculate it after he lands
Looks good to me. Question for you: Does the force of gravity change when he lands?

kara123 said:
... i have no idea how to calculate it after he lands, any help would be greatly appreciated!
It's a trick question. Knowing that, take a shot at it.

Doc Al said:
Looks good to me. Question for you: Does the force of gravity change when he lands?
it does not so it would remain the same after he lands then. The force of gravity would only change in this situation if the mass changes?

kara123 said:
it does not so it would remain the same after he lands then. The force of gravity would only change in this situation if the mass changes?
Right! As @russ_watters said, it's kind of a trick question.

Likes russ_watters

1. What are Newton's laws of motion?

Newton's laws of motion are three physical laws that describe the relationship between the forces acting on an object and its motion. They were developed by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century and are considered the foundation of classical mechanics.

2. How does Newton's first law apply to a skydiver?

Newton's first law, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. In the case of a skydiver, they will continue to fall at a constant speed until they are acted upon by the force of air resistance or their parachute is deployed.

3. What is the force of gravity on a skydiver?

The force of gravity on a skydiver is the same as the force of gravity on any other object on Earth, which is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared. This is the force that pulls the skydiver towards the ground and causes them to accelerate as they fall.

4. How does Newton's second law apply to a skydiver?

Newton's second law, also known as the law of acceleration, states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. In the case of a skydiver, as they fall, the force of gravity (net force) causes them to accelerate towards the ground at a rate of 9.8 meters per second squared.

5. What is the relationship between Newton's third law and a skydiver?

Newton's third law, also known as the law of action and reaction, states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In the case of a skydiver, as they fall towards the ground, the air exerts an equal and opposite force of air resistance, which helps to slow down their descent. This is also why the skydiver feels a sense of weightlessness during freefall, as the force of gravity and the force of air resistance are balanced.