1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force needed to make a disk climb a step

1. Apr 19, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Force needed to make a disk climb a step

Howdy ho. First off, let me say that I'm a newbie here, and I'm not sure if this is the correct place to put this doubt. Here's the deal:

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

We have a disk, and we need to know the force F needed to have it climb the step, with 50mm. The force is applied at the top of the disk.

............F <---- .....
    ........50mm | |........|

Sorry for that draw, it's the best I could do.
    The only known data is:
    the step has 50mm;
    the disk is uniform and weights 40N;
    no friction is to be considered.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I've tried solving it in several ways. I've considered a normal vertical reaction 1 between the ground and the disk, and considered a normal diagonal reaction 2 between the disk and the tip of the step. I also considered that the angle this reaction 2 makes is 45º. So, I concluded that, in the vertical axis, we have: 40 = N1 + N2.sin45º.
    After this, we would have in the horizontal axis the force F and N2.cos45º. I thought that one condition for the disk to climb the step would be: F > N2.cos45º.
    However, this wouldn't be enough. So I used the moment. The moment the force F causes in the center of the disk is F.r . We do not know r, so this would lead to another variable in another equation. So, unless there is missing some data here, I don't know how to solve it. I have the solution, and it says the force should be F=17,88N .

Sorry for any language error, english is not my native language, and is not the language I'm using in classes, so I may have mistaken some technical terms.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Taking moments is the right approach. Hint: You can choose any pivot point you like, so choose wisely.
  4. Apr 19, 2008 #3
    I can't seem to get a solution. I tried using the tip of the step as the pivot. But the distance between this pivot and the 3 forces (weight, reaction 1 and force F) all depend on R. Besides, the sum of all moments is depending on reaction 1, which is unknown.
    Thanks for any help
  5. Apr 19, 2008 #4

Homework Helper

Hi Towelie,

Was this a book problem? This answer does depend on R so they would have to give it to you somehow. (The answer you have of F=17.88 N corresponds to a radius of 15 cm.)
  6. Apr 20, 2008 #5
    No, it's in a work sheet, made by my professor. It is indeed possible some data is missing, it wouldn't be the first time. But thanks for all your help!
  7. Apr 20, 2008 #6

Doc Al

You need to be given R.
    At the instant the disk begins to rise up, what is that reaction force?
  8. Apr 20, 2008 #7
    That would be 0, am I correct?
  9. Apr 20, 2008 #8

Doc Al

You are correct.
  10. Apr 20, 2008 #9
    Ok. So I assumed the instant the disk is rising up, that is, N1=0. I also assumed R=0,15 , like alphysicist said. In this scenario, all we need is the moment caused by force F to be bigger than the moment caused by weight:

F . 0,25 > 40 . 0,1118 (=) F > 17,888N

The same result from my solutions. So I think it is correct! Thank you very much for your help, Doc Al and alphysicist.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?