Force of a car crash basic physics.

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of force in relation to a car crashing into a wall. The question is raised about the direction of the force and if it would be negative due to the car's negative acceleration. It is clarified that the negative force is referring to the force on the car, not the force from the car on the wall, which would be equal and opposite. The conversation concludes with a thank you for the explanation.
InsideJoke
Hello all.
Firstly, I want to note that I'm sure you've all heard this question multiple times but I don't know what search phrases I would use to find it - so I'm sorry for asking a boring basic question.

OK,
I'm learning extremely basic introductory physics and I was having a look at Newton's law f=ma
for an assignment on car safety.

I was just wondering what would happen if a car hit, say, a wall while at a constant speed and not accelerating? I mean, that would mean the force would be zero but it seems to me that in a car crash the car exerts huge amounts of force forward into whatever it's hitting.

I've heard that the accelerating in this type of question is actually the negative acceleration of the car as it comes to a sudden stop but what puzzles me is wouldn't that meant the force would be transferred backward, not forward into the wall? If the force was created by negative acceleration wouldn't that mean it would have to be a negative force (very basic physics knowledge here, so if it does in fact mean negative force please explain)? (f= say, 500kg * -90km/ph^2 = -45000)
Sorry for certain errors in maths and units ect but I'm sure you get my gist.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You can look at it in a different light:

Force is also defined as the change in momentum (mass * velocity) of the object with respect to time. That is

F = mv/t

When the car crashes to a wall then the time it takes for the velocity to change is very small. So F = mv/ 0.0001 seconds is a large force.

Welcome to PF!

Hello InsideJoke! Welcome to PF! :smile:
InsideJoke said:
I've heard that the accelerating in this type of question is actually the negative acceleration of the car as it comes to a sudden stop but what puzzles me is wouldn't that meant the force would be transferred backward, not forward into the wall? If the force was created by negative acceleration wouldn't that mean it would have to be a negative force (very basic physics knowledge here, so if it does in fact mean negative force please explain)?

You're confusing the force on the car with the force from the car.

In F = ma, F is the total force on the body whose acceleration is a.

The car's acceleration is negative, so the force on it is negative.

The force from the car on the wall is equal and oppostie (good ol' Netwon's third law :wink:), ie positive.

oh!
that makes sense!
thanks very much for that :D

I understand your curiosity about the force of a car crash and how it relates to Newton's law of f=ma. Let me explain the basic physics behind it.

Firstly, it's important to note that in a car crash, the car is not at a constant speed. It may seem like it is, but in reality, the car is decelerating rapidly as it comes into contact with the wall or another object. This deceleration is what causes the force to be exerted.

According to Newton's second law, force (F) is equal to mass (m) multiplied by acceleration (a). In the case of a car crash, the force is caused by the deceleration (negative acceleration) of the car. This deceleration is a result of the car's kinetic energy being converted into other forms of energy, such as heat and sound, upon impact.

So, in your example, the negative acceleration of the car would indeed result in a negative force. However, this negative force is actually acting in the direction of the impact, not backwards. This is because the force is being exerted by the car on the object it is hitting.

In summary, the force of a car crash is a result of the deceleration of the car upon impact. This deceleration is caused by the conversion of the car's kinetic energy into other forms of energy. I hope this helps clarify your understanding of the basic physics behind a car crash.

1. What is the force of a car crash?

The force of a car crash is the amount of energy that is transferred to an object during a collision. It is typically measured in Newtons (N) and can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by its acceleration.

2. How is the force of a car crash calculated?

The force of a car crash can be calculated using the formula F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration. This formula is derived from Newton's second law of motion, which states that force is equal to mass times acceleration.

3. What factors affect the force of a car crash?

The force of a car crash can be affected by several factors, including the speed of the car, the mass of the car and other objects involved, the angle of impact, and the stiffness of the objects involved. The force can also be influenced by external factors such as air resistance and friction.

4. How does the force of a car crash impact the occupants of the car?

The force of a car crash can have a significant impact on the occupants of the car. The force can cause injuries, ranging from minor bruises to severe trauma, depending on the magnitude of the force and the body's ability to withstand it. The use of safety features such as seatbelts and airbags can help to reduce the force experienced by the occupants.

5. Can the force of a car crash be reduced?

Yes, the force of a car crash can be reduced through various measures such as wearing seatbelts, using airbags, and proper maintenance of the car's brakes and tires. Additionally, following traffic laws and driving at safe speeds can also help to reduce the force of a car crash.