Force of friction on two blocks

In summary, the two blocks, A and B, with masses of 5.00 kg and 10.0 kg respectively, are stuck together and being pulled to the right by a force of 200 N on a rough horizontal tabletop with a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.800. The acceleration of the system is 5.5 m/s^2. The force of friction between the two objects is around 173 N, directed towards the middle of A and B, coming from the right side. The force of friction is calculated by multiplying the mass of the system with its acceleration, which in this case is 82.5 N, but this is incorrect as the correct answer is around 173 N.
afg_91320

Homework Statement

Two blocks, A and B remain stuck together as they are pulled to the right by a force F = 200 N to the horizontal right. B is on a rough horizontal tabletop (coefficiant of kinetic friction is .800)

a) what is the acceleraton of the system
b) what is the force of friction between the two objects?

pic below:
11qs8ef.jpg

mass of A = 5.00 kg
mass of B = 10.0 kg

Homework Equations

m A = 5.00 kg
m B = 10.0 kg
F = 200N
kinetic friction = 0.800

The Attempt at a Solution

a) i already found the acceleration to be 5.5 m/s^2

b) this is where i am STUCK. all i have is the coeff of the friction which is .800
what do i do with it??

Physics news on Phys.org
Where is the force directed? On the bottom block?

But that aside, the force of acceleration is just its mass times the acceleration isn't it? And since it's not sliding it must be supplied by friction if the force isn't acting on it directly.

^the force is directed right towards the middle of A and B coming from the right side.
so mass times accl will give me the force?
that would be 82.5 and i know that is incorrect because the answer for b should be around 173 N

1. What is the definition of force of friction?

The force of friction is the resistance force that arises when two surfaces come into contact with each other and are moving relative to each other.

2. How is the force of friction calculated?

The force of friction can be calculated by multiplying the coefficient of friction between the two surfaces by the normal force acting on the object.

3. How does the force of friction affect the motion of two blocks?

The force of friction acts in the opposite direction of the motion of the blocks and can cause them to slow down or come to a stop.

4. Can the force of friction be reduced?

Yes, the force of friction can be reduced by using lubricants between the two surfaces or by smoothing out the surfaces to reduce the roughness that causes friction.

5. How does the weight of the blocks affect the force of friction?

The weight of the blocks, or the normal force, directly affects the force of friction. The greater the weight, the greater the normal force and therefore, the greater the force of friction.