Force of magnetic attraction between hemispheres

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the force of magnetic attraction between the northern and southern hemispheres of a uniformly charged spinning spherical shell, with given parameters such as radius, angular velocity, and surface charge density. The conversation also touches upon the use of the Maxwell Tensor and the equations for B_in and B_out in solving the problem. The conversation concludes with questions regarding the direction of θ and its relation to the equatorial plane of the sphere.
Pouyan

Homework Statement

Calculate the force of magnetic attraction between the northern and southern hemispheres of a uniformly charged spinning spherical shell, with radius R, angular velocity ω and surface charge density σ.

Homework Equations

Maxwell Tensor : Tm = [/B](1/μ) * ((B*n)B - (1/2)*B2 n)

B_in =
(2/3)*μσRω*z
B_out =
μm/(4πr3) * (2cosθ r + sinθ θ)
where
m = (4/3)*πR3(σωR)

The Attempt at a Solution

I do see in my solution that :
1-We use a surface consisting of the entire equatorial plane, CLOSING IT with a hemispherical surface at infinity where (since the field is zero out there) contribution is zero.
for r>R :
B = μm/(4πr3) θ = - μm/(4πr3) z (Why ?! )
2-
We have a equatorial circular disk. We use B inside and da = rdrdφ. Direction is in z-axis!
I don't want the solution because I already have it but MY QUESTIONS are :

A) How should think and imagine this spheres ?!
Should I think like this and use those formulas :
sphere%202.jpg

B) Why we do write B = μm/(4πr3) θ = - μm/(4πr3) z
Why is θ =-z in this case ?! I don't get it !

I know the rest. That is just integrating

Attachments

• sphere%202.jpg
    sphere%202.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 1,037
Physics news on Phys.org
Pouyan said:
A) How should think and imagine this spheres ?!
Should I think like this and use those formulas :
I'm not quite following what you are asking here. Can you reword the question?

B) Why we do write B = μm/(4πr3) θ = - μm/(4πr3) z
Why is θ =-z in this case ?! I don't get it !

It is because you are using spherical coordinates with θ measured from the positive z axis. The unit vector θ points in the direction of increasing θ. For a point on the equatorial plane of the sphere, what is the direction of θ?

Likes Pouyan
TSny said:
I'm not quite following what you are asking here. Can you reword the question?
It is because you are using spherical coordinates with θ measured from the positive z axis. The unit vector θ points in the direction of increasing θ. For a point on the equatorial plane of the sphere, what is the direction of θ?
I've got it !

Thanks

1. What is the force of magnetic attraction between hemispheres?

The force of magnetic attraction between hemispheres refers to the amount of force that two magnetic objects exert on each other due to their magnetic fields. It is dependent on the strength of the magnets and the distance between them.

2. How is the force of magnetic attraction between hemispheres calculated?

The force of magnetic attraction between hemispheres can be calculated using the formula F = (μ0 * m1 * m2) / (4 * π * d^2), where F is the force in Newtons, μ0 is the permeability of free space, m1 and m2 are the magnetic moments of the two objects, and d is the distance between them.

3. What factors affect the force of magnetic attraction between hemispheres?

The force of magnetic attraction between hemispheres is affected by the strength of the magnets, the distance between them, and the orientation of their magnetic fields. The force also increases as the magnetic moments of the objects increase.

4. Can the force of magnetic attraction between hemispheres be repulsive?

Yes, the force of magnetic attraction between hemispheres can be repulsive if the two objects have opposite poles facing each other. The force is attractive when the poles are the same.

5. How does the force of magnetic attraction between hemispheres differ from the force of gravity?

The force of magnetic attraction between hemispheres is a non-contact force that is caused by the interaction of two magnetic fields. In contrast, the force of gravity is a contact force that is caused by the mass of two objects. The force of magnetic attraction can also be both attractive and repulsive, while the force of gravity is always attractive.