Uniformly magnetized sphere, calculate force between the hemispheres

In summary, we are asked to find the force between two hemispheres with a magnetization of ##M_0\hat z## and a contact surface on the zx-plane. This can be done by using the Maxwell stress tensor, which has units of force per unit area, and integrating over the entire zx-plane to find the total force. This results in a force that is orthogonal to the zx-plane, as given by the off-diagonal elements of the stress tensor.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A uniformly magnetized sphere of radius R has a magnetization ##\vec M=M_0\hat z##. Calculate the force between the hemispheres whose contact surface is the zx plane. Indicate the direction of the force.

Homework Equations

Hints: ##\vec B_{\text{int}}=\frac{2}{3}\mu _0 M_0 \hat z##
##\vec H_{\text{int}}=-\frac{1}{3} M_0 \hat z##
##\Phi_{\text{ext}}=\frac{1}{3} M_0 R^3 \frac{\cos \theta}{r^2} \hat z##

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure. Maybe using Maxwell stress tensor? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxwell_stress_tensor

So that ##\sigma _{ij}=\frac{1}{4\pi}[E_iE_j+H_iH_j-\frac{1}{2}(E^2+H^2)\delta_{ij}]##.
In my case only ##\sigma_{zz}\neq 0##. I get ##\sigma_{zz}=\frac{M_0^2}{72\pi}##.
But I am utterly confused on what this value represents.
Wikipedia said:
The element ij of the Maxwell stress tensor has units of momentum per unit of area times time and gives the flux of momentum parallel to the ith axis crossing a surface normal to the jth axis (in the negative direction) per unit of time.

These units can also be seen as units of force per unit of area (negative pressure), and the ij element of the tensor can also be interpreted as the force parallel to the ith axis suffered by a surface normal to the jth axis per unit of area. Indeed the diagonal elements give the https://www.physicsforums.com/javascript:void(0) (pulling) acting on a differential area element normal to the corresponding axis. Unlike forces due to the pressure of an ideal gas, an area element in the electromagnetic field also feels a force in a direction that is not normal to the element. This shear is given by the off-diagonal elements of the stress tensor.
Bold emphasis mine. So apparently I get a force orthogonal to the zx plane? But I don't see any differential element, so how do I integrate this to get the total force?
Also something strange is that I didn't most of the formulae given as "hints".

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have to define the area over which you want to compute the force. Then you can integrate the total contribution to the force by integration over the area. In this case, your area should be all of the zx-plane.

Your conclusion that only the zz component of the stress tensor is zero is also incorrect (note the appearance of the Kronecker delta in the last term!).

1. What is a uniformly magnetized sphere?

A uniformly magnetized sphere is a sphere-shaped object that has a consistent and evenly distributed magnetic field throughout its surface.

2. How is the magnetic field of a uniformly magnetized sphere calculated?

The magnetic field of a uniformly magnetized sphere is calculated using the formula B = μ0M, where B is the magnetic field in teslas, μ0 is the permeability of free space, and M is the magnetization of the sphere.

3. How do you calculate the force between the hemispheres of a uniformly magnetized sphere?

The force between the hemispheres of a uniformly magnetized sphere can be calculated using the formula F = (μ0M^2A)/2r^4, where F is the force in newtons, μ0 is the permeability of free space, M is the magnetization of the sphere, A is the area of the spheres in contact, and r is the distance between the centers of the two spheres.

4. Can the force between the hemispheres of a uniformly magnetized sphere be repulsive?

Yes, the force between the hemispheres of a uniformly magnetized sphere can be either attractive or repulsive depending on the orientation of the magnetic fields.

5. How does the force between the hemispheres change with distance?

The force between the hemispheres of a uniformly magnetized sphere decreases as the distance between the two spheres increases. This can be seen in the formula F = (μ0M^2A)/2r^4, where the force is inversely proportional to the distance squared (r^4).