Force of repulsion of alpha particle

In summary, the conversation discusses comparing the electric repulsion force and gravitational attraction force between two alpha particles, and why the gravitational force may seem insignificant. The Coulomb force and gravitational force equations are mentioned, but it is noted that Coulomb's law cannot be applied without the distance between sources. The idea of finding a mathematical combination of the two forces that is independent of distance is suggested, but it is not clear how to eliminate distance. The conversation ends with the suggestion to go back to the correct expression for the Coulomb force and to compare the dependences on separation.
adichy

Homework Statement

An alpha particle has a mass m = 6.64x10^-27 kg and a charge q = +2e.
Compare the force of electric repulsion between two alpha
particles and the force of gravitational attraction between them. Explain briefly
why the gravitational force is ever significant, given its seeming insignificance
here.

Homework Equations

F=qE, F=kqq/r, F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

coloumbs law can't be applied here since I am not given r
and i can't think of a way to obtain the E_field or a in f=ma when i equate qE=ma
(maybe Electric flux can be found using gauss's, but i don't think that's the right way to go)

Some guidance would be much appreciated

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Both the magnitude of the electromagnetic force and that of the gravitational force depend on the distance between sources. Can you come up with a mathematical combination of the two that is independent of the distance?

im not sure how eliminate the distance

F_e=kqq/r
F_g=Gmm/r^2

equating those 2 will still leave me with distance
I can't think of any other formula for F_e that doesn't require finding the electric field or using the distance

First, go back to your text or notes and find the correct expression for the Coulomb force (what you have is the potential energy). Second, you don't really want to equate the EM and gravitational forces, but the correct expression should be clearer once you can compare the correct dependences on the separation.

oh sorry i forgot its squared...
ahh divide both the expressions to find the ratio?

1. What is the force of repulsion between alpha particles?

The force of repulsion between alpha particles is a type of electromagnetic force that acts between two positively charged particles. It is caused by the interaction of their electric fields and is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How is the force of repulsion of alpha particles calculated?

The force of repulsion between alpha particles can be calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the force is equal to the product of the charges of the particles divided by the square of the distance between them, multiplied by a constant.

3. Can the force of repulsion between alpha particles be attractive?

No, the force of repulsion between alpha particles is always repulsive. This is because alpha particles are positively charged and like charges repel each other.

4. What factors affect the force of repulsion of alpha particles?

The force of repulsion between alpha particles depends on the charges of the particles and the distance between them. It is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance.

5. How does the force of repulsion of alpha particles relate to radioactive decay?

The force of repulsion between alpha particles plays a crucial role in radioactive decay. Alpha particles are emitted from unstable nuclei during this process, and the force of repulsion between them helps to overcome the strong nuclear force that holds the nucleus together, causing it to decay into a more stable state.