Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force on a massless classical particle

1. Jul 14, 2011 #1

atyy

Science Advisor

Can a massless classical particle experience a nonzero Newton's second law force?

Dickfore produced a very interesting formula in https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=3333233&postcount=52 .

Is this generally accepted? Are there other expressions that work? Or are all acceptable expressions equivalent?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2011 #2

PAllen

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

After posting doubts about how this would work in that other thread, I realized I thought it might work, but didn't have time to work out details. This post by Dickfore is very interesting. I was thinking that the key thing to work around, given preference to us 4 vectors is the following:

- we have a well defined 4-momentum for a massless particle (happens to have null norm)
    - a null path can definitely change direction and not be geodesic (I was simply confused
    for not realizing this).

but you need a consistent approach for not being able to take covariant derivatives by proper time along a path. 4-force is normally covariant derivative by proper time. What definition do you use for a lightlike path? I would hope there is something more elegant than Dickfore's post. So, for me, the key to making all this work is substituting something for covariant derivative by tau in the 4-vector formulation of relativistic kinematics.

4. Jul 14, 2011 #3

atyy

Science Advisor

Dickfore's equation says the force sees the energy of the particle, which reminds one a bit of gravity (as a field in flat spacetime). How about http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0405030, Eq 12? Can it hold for null 4-velocities?

Another useful reference for particle equations of motion in gravity is http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0611100.

I would also like to know if Gralla and Wald's http://arxiv.org/abs/0905.2391 derivation of the electromagnetic self-force of point charge as a certain limit applies to massless classical point charges.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  5. Jul 14, 2011 #4

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think it's absolutely necessary to start off by defining the four-force as [itex]dp/d\tau[/itex]. For a massless particle, a finite three-force acting on it becomes an infinite four-force, so the three-force is well defined but the four-force isn't.

But if we don't use [itex]dp/d\tau[/itex] as our definition of force in relativity, and use the three-force instead, then we have to deal with the question of what is the fundamental definition of the three-force in relativity. I think the history is that very early on (maybe ca. 1920), Einstein decided that force was not a useful concept in relativity, and stopped referring to it. Newton's laws aren't valid, so it's not necessarily easy to define what is meant by the three-force, if we don't start with the four-force.

A related issue that has always bugged me, and about which I've never been able to get a satisfactory answer, is that a lot of treatments of SR derive the equation for relativistic kinetic energy by using the work-kinetic energy theorem with three-vectors, but I've never seen any justification for the assumption that the work-KE theorem should hold.

6. Jul 14, 2011 #5

PAllen

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

At least for massive particles, I've always been satisfied with the approach that takes 4-momentum as a definition; energy is its timelike component; rest energy its norm; and kinetic energy simply total energy - rest energy.

7. Jul 14, 2011 #6

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't have any objection to any of those statements. What bothers me is the link to the 3-force, and the approach in which the work-KE theorem is used as a fundamental assumption in order to derive the relativistic relations involving energy and momentum.

8. Jul 14, 2011 #7

PAllen

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

After reviewing my books and finding nothing of use on this question, I searched again online and found the following:

http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/9508081

The first part of this paper covers exactly this topic! (A consistent approach to the dynamics of massless particles in SR).

9. Jul 14, 2011 #8

atyy

Science Advisor

Thank you! Looks very interesting.

10. Jul 15, 2011 #9
  11. Jul 15, 2011 #10

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I got lost at this point:
    What does it mean for a certain four-vector to "represent" a certain three-vector?

This also bugged me:
    I don't see how you can have instantaneous action at a distance in relativity. He says it's only instantaneous in the rest frame of a certain object...so it's not instantaneous in the rest frames of other objects...?? This doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If object A acts on object B, then how do you decide whose frame it's instantaneous in?

12. Jul 15, 2011 #11

PAllen

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hmm, I just skimmed the claimed results. Hopefully, this weekend I can spend some time reading it.

13. Jul 15, 2011 #12

atyy

Science Advisor

Very interesting! If you Lorentz transform, do you use cXB for the magnetic force, and do you get the same trajectory?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook