1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force on a relativistic particle

1. Dec 24, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A particle of rest mass ##m_0## is is caused to move along a line in such a way that its postion is $$x = \sqrt{b^2 + c^2 t^2} -b$$What force must be applied to the particle to produce this motion?

Feynman_12_7.png

2. Relevant equations

The velocity of the particle as seen from the rest frame is ##v = \frac{dx}{dt}## and the acceleration is ##a = \frac{dv}{dt}##.

The mass of the particle as seen in the rest frame is ##m = \gamma m_0##, where ##\gamma = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}##.

Then the force should be ##F = m a##.

3. The attempt at a solution

Differentiating ##x##, I get ##v = \frac{c^2 t}{\sqrt{b^2 + c^2 t^2}}##.

So, ##\gamma = \frac{\sqrt{b^2 + c^2 t^2}}{b}##.

Differentiating ##v##, I get ##a = \frac{b^2 c^2}{(b^2 + c^2 t^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}}##.

So, ##F = \frac{m_0 b c^2}{b^2 + c^2 t^2}##.

The answer given in the book is ##F = \frac{m_0 c^2}{b}##. What did I do wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 24, 2016 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Force in special relativity is generally defined as rate of change of relativistic momentum: ##\vec{F} = \frac{d\vec{p}}{dt}##, where ##\vec{p} = \gamma m_0 \vec{v}##. This is not equivalent to ##\vec{F} = m \vec{a}##, where ##m = \gamma m_0## and ##\vec{a} = \frac{d\vec{v}}{dt}##.

See

4. Dec 24, 2016 #3
    OK, I get the book answer now. Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted