1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force on a sphere in a constant external electric field

1. Feb 8, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An uncharged solid sphere is paced in a constant external electric field E0. What is the force on the sphere?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know ( already have found ) the electric potential and electric field around the sphere. Also worked out the surface charged density. I don't know how to calculate the force..Any help please?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Isn't F = q*E ?

4. Feb 9, 2009 #3
    It seemed too simple somehow... Is q the induced charge on the sphere, and E the electric field close to the sphere??

Thank you for your help

5. Feb 9, 2009 #4

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

If there is charge separation, what will the net force be?

6. Feb 9, 2009 #5
    Got it! Thanks a lot for the help!!

7. May 21, 2009 #6
    This is the exact question i was looking for help with and still not sure of what the next step is.

I know the uniform E-field causes the sphere to gain an induced dipole. From this how do you get the force? Is it ok to just assume the E-field remains uniform.. this can't be right as there would then be no force and seems there must be a force from the way the question is worded.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook