1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Force Per Length and Magnitude of a Current

1. May 11, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1.A long, thick (cylindrical, solid) wire of radius 3 mm carries a total current of I1 = 100A that is uniformly distributed over its cross-sectional area. The current is in the +z direction. A second, thin wire runs parallel to the axis of the thick wire and is located at a distance of 7 mm from the center of the thick wire (see the figure). Initially there is no current flowing in the second wire (i.e., initially I2 = 0).

A current I2 (of unknown magnitude and direction) is now switched on in the second wire. The resulting force per-unit-length exerted on the second wire is measured to have a magnitude of 0.25 N/m, and the wires feel attractive forces. What is the magnitude and direction of the current I2?

2k3ms9.jpg

2. Relevant equations

F = ILxB

B = u0I/(2*pi*r)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Using F/L = 0.25 N/m, I set that equal to u0I/(2*pi*r)
    so
    (F/L) = u0I/(2*pi*r)

Solving for I:

I = [(F/L)*(2*pi*r)]/u0

Plugging in the values gave me I = 8750A. My professor has provided the answers for this study guide and the answer is 87.5A. I realized I made this same mistake on my exam and I was also off by 2 decimal places. I also posted this on my professor's forum, but no answer yet (posted earlier this morning). Any help is appreciated!

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2010 #2
    Figured out my problem, I was using the wrong equation.

F/L = u0*I1*I2/(2*pi*r)

Solving gives:

I = (F/L)*2*pi*r/(u0*I1)

I = 87.5A

Hope I didn't waste anyone's time and hopefully someone can learn from my mistakes!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook