1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Field from two parallel wires

1. Mar 18, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Each of two long straight parallel wires separated by a distance of 24.0 cm carries a current of 5.00 A
    in the same direction. What is the magnitude of the resulting magnetic field at a point that is 14.0 cm
    from each wire?

2. Relevant equations
    U0I/2pir
    U0I/4pia(cos(theta) -cos(theta2))
    B1 + B2 =B

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have tried (U0I/2pir)2 as well as U0I/4pia(cos(theta) -cos(theta2)) Where theta 1 is approx 30 and theta 2 is approx 150. r in both equations have been .14. I have also tried U0I/2pi(.14) + U0I/2pi(.24-.14). And a series of other variations which never yield close to the given potential answers. Been working on this for 5 days now.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2016 #2

Charles Link

Homework Helper

The calculation of the magnetic field is solved for each wire separately using Ampere's Law. This is a vector problem and it can help to draw a diagram with the current from the two wires flowing into the plane of the paper. The magnetic field from each wire is in a circular clockwise direction around each wire when the electrical current points into the plane of the paper.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted