1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force (potential, I think) to Kinetic Energy - Two charges

1. Feb 15, 2012 #1
    Two particles each have a mass of 7.7 x 10-5 kg. One has a charge of +5.9 x 10-6 C, and the other has a charge of -5.9 x 10-6 C. They are initially held at rest at a distance of 0.91 m apart. Both are then released and accelerate toward each other. How fast is each particle moving when the separation between them is one-half its initial value?

mass particle = 7.7x10^-5 kg
    q1 = 5.9x10^-6 C
    q2 = -5.9x10^-6 C
    r0 = .91m
    r1 = .455m
    v0 = 0 m/s
    v1 = ???

2. Relevant equations

F = kq1*q2/(r^2)
    KE = .5 * m * v^2

3. The attempt at a solution

I believe the first thing to do would be to gather the force between the charges, using
    F = k*q1*q2/(.91^2).

The next thing I think I should do is substitute F in for KE, in the equation
    KE = .5 * m * v^2

One of the problems I'm not sure about is how the KE equation factor in two charges moving in opposite directions.

By substituting F for KE, am I already factoring in all the vectors I need?

edit: I think another way of describing what I'm feeling is: Is the velocity in the KE equation the velocity of each charge, regardless of direction?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2012 #2
    Oh, and if it helps explain, the charges are set up like:

<-----q1...q2----->

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook