Force produced after landing stiffly

In summary, the problem asks to calculate the magnitude of the force produced when an 80.0-kg person jumps from a 0.600-m-high ledge and lands stiffly, compressing joint material 1.50 cm. The known data includes the mass, height, and distance of compression. Using the work-energy theorem, the negative work done is equivalent to the initial potential energy. By including the weight of the person, the final result is 3.21 × 10^4 N, which agrees with the given answer. However, the question is flawed as it does not specify the pattern of deceleration, and the most interesting quantity would be the peak force rather than the average force.
Jazz

Homework Statement

Very large forces are produced in joints when a person jumps from some height to the ground. Calculate the magnitude of the force produced if an ##\small{80.0\!-\!kg}## person jumps from a ##\small{0.600\!–\!m\!-\!}##high ledge and lands stiffly, compressing joint material ##\small{1.50\ cm}## as a result. (Be certain to include the weight of the person).

Known data:

##m = 80.0\ kg##

##h = 0.600\ m##

##d = 1.50 \times 10^{-2}\ m##

Homework Equations

##W_{nc} = \Delta KE + \Delta PE##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
The work done is negative since it removes mechanical energy from the system:

##- W_{nc} = KE_f - KE_i + PE_f - PE_i##

##- W_{nc} = - PE_i##

##F_{nc}d = mgh##

##F_{nc} = \frac{mgh}{d} = \frac{(80.0\ kg)(9.8\ m/s^2)(0.600\ m)}{1.50 \times 10^{-2}\ m}##

##F_{nc} = 3.13 \times 10^4\ N##

Here is where I thought I was done. The problem asks to include the weight of the person. By doing so, I get ##\scriptsize{3.21 \times 10^4\ N}##, which agrees with the answer given to it, but I've not been able to see what is the point of adding their weight.

As fas as I understand the weight is already being included in ##F_{nc}##.

If I think about it in terms of compression, when standing their ##\scriptsize{(80.0\ kg)(9.8\ m/s^2) = 784\ N}## are always compressing the joints a little bit.

If I added a barbell weighing ##\frac{3.134 \times 10^4\ N - 784\ N}{9.8\ m/s^2} = \scriptsize{3.12 \times 10^3\ kg}## on top of the man, it would be enough to compress their joints 1.50 cm.

Asking me to add the weight of the man (again, from my view) it's like saying that ##F_{nc}## does not include the man's weight (I can't see why not) and, when standing, the man's weight doesn't compress the joints at all.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello jazz,

Yes, you included the mass of the man in the Fnc.

I don't know how you go from the 3.13 N to 3.21 by including the man's mass ?

Also, my calculator claims 80 * 9.8 = 784, not 470 !

And now the point: if you decscend 0.6 m and then compress 1.5 cm, how much distance has your center of mass covered ?
So include some of the compression in h. How big a fractgion depends on where the compression takes place. From the answer I'd say they think it's the feet only...

BvU said:
Hello jazz,

Yes, you included the mass of the man in the Fnc.

I don't know how you go from the 3.13 N to 3.21 by including the man's mass ?

Also, my calculator claims 80 * 9.8 = 784, not 470 !

And now the point: if you decscend 0.6 m and then compress 1.5 cm, how much distance has your center of mass covered ?
So include some of the compression in h. How big a fractgion depends on where the compression takes place. From the answer I'd say they think it's the feet only...

Hi BvU,

I had multiplied the man's weight by ##\small{0.600\ d}## too ]: . I've edited that.

The textbook's answer of 3.21 is just adding 80*9.8 to the force obtained as ##F_{nc}##.

I still have a hard time understanding this. The man hits the ground with a speed of ##\small{\sqrt{2gh}}## and the collision lasts ##\small{\Delta t= \frac{m\sqrt{2gh}}{F_{nc}} = 8.75 \times 10^{-3}\ s}##. During that time the ground is able to distinguish between the weight of the man and the force of the collision, exerting an upward force overcoming these two things. It doesn't make sense to me ):

Can I claim that the textbook's answer is not correct or I need to think about it with another approach?

Jazz said:
Calculate the magnitude of the force produced if an ##\small{80.0\!-\!kg}## person jumps from a ##\small{0.600\!–\!m\!-\!}##high ledge and lands stiffly, compressing joint material ##\small{1.50\ cm}## as a result.
Soapbox: This is a flawed question. The force will not be constant during compression. In the context, the most interesting quantity for many purposes would be the peak force. Often such questions ask for the average force, but to answer that it is not sufficient to know the impact speed and the extent of compression.
Average acceleration is defined as change in velocity divided by change in time: Δv/Δt. Ergo, average force is change in momentum divided by change in time: Δp/Δt. There is insufficient information to calculate that here. You can calculate an "average over distance" from change in energy and displacement, but that's different from the standard meaning of average force.
To answer the question as posed (whether for peak force or for average force) you need to make some assumption about the pattern of deceleration. If it is constant deceleration then the average over distance, peak, and average (over time) all happen to give the same answer, but more likely the deceleration will increase from 0 more-or-less steadily up to a maximum. A reasonable approach would be to treat it as an elastic compression, but with no actual rebound.

Putting all that aside, and accepting ΔE/Δs as an appropriate formula:
Jazz said:
Fncd=mgh
Jazz said:
As fas as I understand the weight is already being included in Fnc.
You haven't defined Fnc. Is it the force from the floor or the net vertical force on the person? If you choose one, the first equation above is wrong; if you choose the other, the second statement is wrong.

haruspex said:
You haven't definedFnc. Is it the force from the floor or the net vertical force on the person? If you choose one, the first equation above is wrong; if you choose the other, the second statement is wrong.

I notice I’ve been trying to find the force from the floor. The other case seems similar to the Elevator Problem. Since I actually didn’t see the problem from the latter approach, I should define ##F_{nc}## as ##F_{floor}##.

haruspex said:
Soapbox: This is a flawed question. The force will not be constant during compression. In the context, the most interesting quantity for many purposes would be the peak force. Often such questions ask for the average force, but to answer that it is not sufficient to know the impact speed and the extent of compression.

Average acceleration is defined as change in velocity divided by change in time: Δv/Δt. Ergo, average force is change in momentum divided by change in time: Δp/Δt. There is insufficient information to calculate that here. You can calculate an "average over distance" from change in energy and displacement, but that's different from the standard meaning of average force.

If the duration of the collision were given, then the average force (as it's defined) could be calculated, right?

haruspex said:
A reasonable approach would be to treat it as an elastic compression, but with no actual rebound.

If I’ve understood this, then the ##\Delta KE## goes into a ##\Delta PE_{spring}## over a ##\Delta t##; with the joints of the person serving as the springs:

##-\frac{\Delta KE}{\Delta t} = \frac{\Delta PE_{spring}}{\Delta t} \Rightarrow -\Delta KE = \Delta PE_{spring}##

If that were the case, it would require me to find the spring constant ##k## and then find the force ##k\Delta L##, being ##\Delta L## equal to ##d##. That yields me twice the force I found above.

I'm somewhat more confused than before about how to use the data I have in order to solve this ]:

As has been hinted, your value of h is wrong in your first post. It is not 0.600 m.

Jazz said:
I should define ##F_{nc}## as ##F_{floor}##.
In that case your equation ##F_{nc}d = mgh## does not comply with this injunction:
Jazz said:
Be certain to include the weight of the person.
Jazz said:
If the duration of the collision were given, then the average force (as it's defined) could be calculated, right?
Yes, if it's the average that's required. The question as posted does not specify.
Jazz said:
If I’ve understood this, then the ΔKE goes into a ΔPEspring over a Δt; with the joints of the person serving as the springs:
Yes.
Jazz said:
then find the force kΔL, being ΔL equal to d.
That would give you the peak force, not the average. To find the average, calculate the time for the compression (assuming SHM).
But I strongly suspect the questioner wants the average over distance, i.e. your first approach.

haruspex said:
Yes, if it's the average that's required. The question as posted does not specify.

Great. I wasn't sure how average force is exactly defined until now.

PhanthomJay said:
As has been hinted, your value of h is wrong in your first post. It is not 0.600 m.

haruspex said:
In that case your equation ##F_{nc}d = mgh## does not comply with this injunction:

Jazz said:
Be certain to include the weight of the person.
That would give you the peak force, not the average. To find the average, calculate the time for the compression (assuming SHM).
But I strongly suspect the questioner wants the average over distance, i.e. your first approach.

Well, now I see what my mistakes were (the wrong answer for a misunderstood question). @BvU pointed out a key part, and I skipped it |:

Thanks guys.

Jazz said:
@BvU pointed out a key part, and I skipped it |:
There are two ways of looking at it, and they produce the same answer.
Either, the force acts to absorb the total loss in PE: F = mg(h+d)/d,
or, the force acts to absorb the initial loss of PE, plus has to counter gravity while doing so: F = mgh/d + mg
The OP hinted at the second approach, while BvU and PhanthomJay prefer the first.

What is "force produced after landing stiffly"?

"Force produced after landing stiffly" refers to the amount of force exerted on an object or surface when it lands in a rigid or inflexible manner. This force is typically measured in Newtons (N) and can have significant effects on the object or surface that it is applied to.

How is "force produced after landing stiffly" measured?

"Force produced after landing stiffly" is typically measured using a force plate or force sensor. These devices are designed to detect and measure the amount of force applied to them, allowing scientists to accurately quantify the force produced after landing stiffly.

What factors can affect the force produced after landing stiffly?

The force produced after landing stiffly can be affected by a variety of factors, including the weight and speed of the object, the angle at which it lands, and the surface it lands on. Additionally, the elasticity and flexibility of the object or surface can also play a role in the force produced.

Why is it important to study the force produced after landing stiffly?

Studying the force produced after landing stiffly is important for understanding the potential impact and damage that can occur when an object or person lands in a rigid manner. It can also help improve safety measures and design more durable structures and equipment that can withstand high forces.

How can the force produced after landing stiffly be reduced?

The force produced after landing stiffly can be reduced by increasing the flexibility and shock-absorbing capabilities of the landing surface, or by using protective equipment such as padding or cushioning. Proper training and techniques can also help individuals and athletes learn how to land more softly and reduce the force produced.