1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force related to distance question

1. May 28, 2013 #1

joshmccraney

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    So I have worked through most of the problem and what I have so far is correct. Basically, I have force as a function of time which, when exerted on an object, moves the object up a 15 degree slant. Given two points in times, my question reduces to finding the total distance traveled within this time period. It should be known I have initial and final velocities.

2. Relevant equations
    work/energy seems useful here [itex]U=\Delta V_G + \Delta T[/itex]

i don't think i need impulse, or namely [itex]\int \sum F dt= \Delta G[/itex] as this deals explicitly with time, which I have already used to get the force function (though I could be wrong)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I was thinking [itex]U=\int F ds = m g sin(15) s + m {{V_2}^2}/2 - m {{V_1}^2}/2[/itex] where [itex]s[/itex] is the distance travelled I am looking for and the force function [itex]F[/itex] is changed to only account for forces other than gravity (since the [itex] \Delta V_G[/itex] term accounts for potential gravity.

but then, since [itex]F[/itex] is a function of time, i'm not sure how to proceed (if you need the force function I can give it, but it's kind of long)

I know both initial and final velocities [itex]V_1 , V_2[/itex]

Any ideas would be helpful! Thanks!

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2013 #2
    I would think that given F(t), and the mass, you would integrate a(t) to find v(t) and then again to find d(t) distance a function of time. When you integrate a(t) you have the initial velocity given. Does the force act parallel to the plane?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted