1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Forced oscillation, Equation of Motion and verifying solutions

1. Jan 7, 2009 #1
    Hi, Been registered for a while here, but this is my first post, been using the forum as more of a resource before. I am going through some past papers, but I am faltering at 1 question.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particle moving along the x-axis with velocity v experiences a resistive force –bv, but no spring-like restoring force, where b is the friction coefficient.

(a) Write down the equation of motion. [3]
    [tex]\ddot{x}= -(b/m)v [/tex]

(b) Show that the equation of motion is satisfied by
    [tex] x(t) = C - (v_{0}/\gamma)e^{-\gamma}[/tex]

where , m is the mass of the particle, and C and [tex]\gamma=(b/m)[/tex] are free parameters. [3]

Not the quickest with latex so the answer was to just differentiate twice, you can then see they are equivalent.

(c) At the particle is at rest at t=0 x=0. At this instant a driving force is switched on [tex] F = F_{0}cos(\omega*t)[/tex] what is the equation of motion for t > 0 ? [2]

[tex]\ddot{x}= (F_{0}/m)cos(\omega*t) -(b/m)v [/tex]

(d) Show that, when both forces are present, x(t)= A*cos(ωt−δ) is a solution to the equation of motion with appropriate choice of A and δ. Find A and δ .
    We are also told that [cos(δ) = 1/(rootof 1 +tan^2(δ)] and sin(δ) = tan(δ)/(rootof 1 +tan^2(δ)]

Again I try to differentiate through but I come to a block, I use the 2 above identities but doesnt help me? I know I must be missing something simple or just not seeing it.

Any help much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2009 #2
    If you haven't already, try verifying it by using complex exponentials rather than trig functions rather than trig functions. It's usually much easier.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?