1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Forced oscillation (mass & spring)

1. Nov 2, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 2 kg object attached to a spring moves without friction and is driven by an external force given by F = (3.00N)sin(2[tex]\pi[/tex]t). The force constant of the spring is 20.0N/m.
    Find the amplitude of the motion.

2. Relevant equations
    I am not sure but I am trying to use:
    A = (F0/m)/[tex]\sqrt{}(w^2-w0^2)^2[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Applying this equation using w equals 2pi and w0 is k/m (10) gives an amplitude of 0.00173. The solution in the book says 5.09cm.
    Am I approaching this question correctly?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2008 #2

alphysicist

Homework Helper

Hi kash25,
    w0 is not equal to k/m. If you correct this you should get the right answer.

4. Nov 2, 2008 #3
    Not exactly sure...but that equation you have might be for forced oscillations working against friction; in this case there is no friction.

5. Nov 2, 2008 #4

alphysicist

Homework Helper

No, it's the right equation. If it was a damped spring there would be another term under the radical. Using that equation (with the corrected value for w0) gives the answer given in the post.

6. Nov 2, 2008 #5
    remember that w0 = sqrt (k/m).

That will give you the right answer :)

7. Nov 2, 2008 #6
    stupid mistake..thanks for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?