Forces acting on a half circle by a standstill wire

In summary, the problem involves a wire being pulled around a half circle, with equal forces acting on both ends. The total force on the disc is equal to the sum of the forces on each end, and the question is how this force is distributed at different places on the disc. One approach is to consider the vertical load being spread evenly over the vertical coordinate, leading to a constant force per length at the top of the disc. Another approach is to split the half circle into triangles and calculate the force equilibrium for each triangle. Alternatively, the problem can be approached by considering the disc as a boat submerged in water, with the largest forces on the top of the circle. A general formula for the force per angle can be found using vectors,
AndersB87
Hello

I have a problem where a wire is pulled around a half circle (disc) and then both ends pulled. The force in both ends are equal (F1 + F2).

The disc must in total put up a force (F3) equal to F1 + F2 to not be pulled along by the wire.

My question is how does the force of the wire act on the disc at different places. What is the force subjected to the disc from the wire at the top of the disc? as an example. Or at 45 degrees on each side?

I uploaded a picture of the problem, where the red lines indicates which individual forces I want to be able to calculated.

There is no movement to the wire.

Attachments

• Forces_disc.jpg
    Forces_disc.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 491
Engineering news on Phys.org
The shortcut, and neglecting the mass of the wire: the vertical load is spread evenly over the vertical coordinate. Based on this, you can determine the force per length at the top of the cylinder (where there is no horizontal component). That value is the same everywhere on the half circle.

The long way: Split the half circle in triangles, calculate the force equilibrium for a triangle, let the triangle size go to zero.

Hello, thank you for the answer. I tried another approach to the problem where i looked at it as a boat submerged in water. The theory is that the largest forces is on the top of the circle, as a boat would experience the largest force at the bottom of the hull. The following link was very helpful.

http://www.engin.brown.edu/courses/en3/notes/Statics/forcesum/forcesum.htm

For a more general case I wrote the Force per length as an vector in the xy-plane, where the i-vector is x directon, and j-vector is y direction.

I found the general forumla for the force per angle to be:

dF/dPhi = F*(2/pi)*cos phi*(j*cos phi - i*sin phi)

Now I could just integrate this at the angles of interest to find the forces acting on the disc.

I wonder this approach is correct?

1. What is a half circle?

A half circle is a two-dimensional shape that is formed by a semicircle, which is a half of a complete circle. It is a curved shape with a straight edge on one side and a curved edge on the other.

2. What are forces acting on a half circle?

The forces acting on a half circle can include tension, gravity, and friction. Tension is the force exerted by a stretched wire, gravity is the force of attraction between objects, and friction is the resistance force between surfaces in contact.

3. How does a standstill wire affect the forces on a half circle?

A standstill wire, also known as a stationary wire, does not add any additional forces to a half circle. Instead, it acts as a support to keep the half circle in place and prevent it from moving or collapsing.

4. What is the purpose of studying forces on a half circle by a standstill wire?

Studying the forces acting on a half circle by a standstill wire can help scientists understand the principles of physics, such as tension, gravity, and friction. It can also be applied to real-world scenarios, such as the construction of bridges and other structures.

5. How can the forces acting on a half circle by a standstill wire be calculated?

The forces acting on a half circle can be calculated using various equations and principles of physics, such as Newton's laws of motion and the equations for tension and friction. By measuring the weight and dimensions of the half circle and the properties of the standstill wire, scientists can determine the forces acting on the structure.