Translational and rotational forces in a vehicle moving along a string

In summary, the conversation discusses a project on angle stabilization for a vehicle moving along a string. The propulsion system is connected to the central wheel and the outer two wheels are for support. The vehicle rotates during acceleration and the person is looking for a way to quantify this rotation. They propose a model using torque force, translational acceleration, radius of the driving wheel, and other variables. They also question the validity of an equation and how to model tangential forces and deformation opposition. The person admits to being new to rotational concepts and asks for design ideas.
praskatonik
Hi.

I've been working on a project of angle stabilization for a vehicle moving along a string, looking like this:

vehicle.png

The propulsion system is connected to the central wheel, while the outer two wheels are used for support.
I've observed that during acceleration the vehicle rotates. I would estimate that this angle is proportional to the translational acceleration, and I need a way to quantify (or refute) my estimate.

My model is following:

τ - torque force generated by the propulsion
a - translational acceleration (αr = a)
r - radius of the driving wheel
F1, F2 - tangenial forces of chasis torque due to motor torque
Fw1, Fw2 - forces by which the wire opposes the deformation that the chasis torque would cause
θ' - angle velocity of the driving wheel

Is it correct to say that the following equation holds:
I*θ'' = τ - r*m*a
where I is the inertial moment of the chasis, and θ'' angle acceleration?

How to I model the tangenial forces of torque acting on the end-points of my chasis and the forces of deformation opposition exhibited by the wire?

I presume if it were a perfect, unbendable wire, it would be true that:
F1 = -Fw1 and
F2 = -Fw2
and no chasis rotation would be possible.

In my case, as in any real case of object hanging on a wire, this is not true.

Thank you all :)

Ana

P.S. This is my first dabble in anything rotational, so excuse my ignorance. This is how far I can get by using brain+Google.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Wouldn't the supporting wheels need to be on the other side of the wire? If the wire is stiff enough maybe you can change the supporting wheels so that there are two on each end of the chassis, kind of like a pitching machine. Just more design ideas, no math yet from me.

Last edited:

1. What are translational and rotational forces in a vehicle?

Translational forces refer to the forward and backward movement of the vehicle along the string, while rotational forces refer to the spinning or turning motion of the vehicle around its center of mass.

2. How do translational and rotational forces affect the movement of a vehicle?

Translational forces determine the speed and direction of the vehicle, while rotational forces determine its stability and ability to make turns and maneuvers.

3. How does the string affect the translational and rotational forces on the vehicle?

The string acts as a constraint on the movement of the vehicle, causing tension forces that influence both the translational and rotational forces.

4. How do you calculate the translational and rotational forces on a vehicle?

The translational forces can be calculated using Newton's second law, F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass of the vehicle, and a is the acceleration. The rotational forces can be calculated using the torque equation, T=Iα, where T is the torque, I is the moment of inertia, and α is the angular acceleration.

5. How can the translational and rotational forces on a vehicle be optimized for better performance?

To optimize the translational forces, the vehicle should have a powerful engine and lightweight design. To optimize rotational forces, the vehicle should have a low center of mass and a balanced weight distribution. Additionally, using aerodynamic principles can improve both translational and rotational forces on a vehicle.