1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Translational and rotational forces in a vehicle moving along a string

1. Jun 26, 2013 #1
    Hi.

I've been working on a project of angle stabilization for a vehicle moving along a string, looking like this:

vehicle.png

The propulsion system is connected to the central wheel, while the outer two wheels are used for support.
    I've observed that during acceleration the vehicle rotates. I would estimate that this angle is proportional to the translational acceleration, and I need a way to quantify (or refute) my estimate.

My model is following:

τ - torque force generated by the propulsion
    a - translational acceleration (αr = a)
    r - radius of the driving wheel
    F1, F2 - tangenial forces of chasis torque due to motor torque
    Fw1, Fw2 - forces by which the wire opposes the deformation that the chasis torque would cause
    θ' - angle velocity of the driving wheel

Is it correct to say that the following equation holds:
    I*θ'' = τ - r*m*a
    where I is the inertial moment of the chasis, and θ'' angle acceleration?

How to I model the tangenial forces of torque acting on the end-points of my chasis and the forces of deformation opposition exhibited by the wire?

I presume if it were a perfect, unbendable wire, it would be true that:
    F1 = -Fw1 and
    F2 = -Fw2
    and no chasis rotation would be possible.

In my case, as in any real case of object hanging on a wire, this is not true.

Thank you all :)

Ana

P.S. This is my first dabble in anything rotational, so excuse my ignorance. This is how far I can get by using brain+Google.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2013 #2
    Wouldn't the supporting wheels need to be on the other side of the wire? If the wire is stiff enough maybe you can change the supporting wheels so that there are two on each end of the chassis, kind of like a pitching machine. Just more design ideas, no math yet from me.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook