Forces and Friction on a Block and a Beam

In summary: Which ones are they?The frictional forces that will necessarily slide are the ones acting on the block and the plank. They are in the same direction as the plank, but with opposite signs.
haruspex said:
That has fixed the sign error. Your moments equation may have been ok before but it was too hard to interpret with those decimal numbers. It looks ok now, but you can simplify it.
But you seem to be using the same symbol M for both masses. Please use m for the plank.

What can you deduce about theta from the equations you have?
Hey here, wouldn't the vertical force be the same as the Mg to keep it from slipping?

∑Fy = +Nblock*0.6 + Nblock1*0.6 - 9.81block = 0
∑Fx = +Nblock - Nblock1 = 0
Nblock = 8.175N
Nblock1 = 8.175N

Physics news on Phys.org
masterchiefo said:
Hey here, wouldn't the vertical force be the same as the Mg to keep it from slipping?

∑Fy = +Nblock*0.6 + Nblock1*0.6 - 9.81block = 0
∑Fx = +Nblock - Nblock1 = 0
Nblock = 8.175N
Nblock1 = 8.175N
Sure, but we're past that point, aren't we? We now need to figure out the minimum ##\mu_{sB}##. And please, please try to post you working in symbolic form. Pretend that you are not told any of the numerical values. It really makes life much easier for those trying to help you, and you should find it less prone to error.

haruspex said:
Sure, but we're past that point, aren't we? We now need to figure out the minimum ##\mu_{sB}##. And please, please try to post you working in symbolic form. Pretend that you are not told any of the numerical values. It really makes life much easier for those trying to help you, and you should find it less prone to error.
what I mean is that Friction Force = W, or it that wrong? so usa*Na = W
Didn't w already calculated the usb same time as the angle ?

masterchiefo said:
what I mean is that Friction Force = W, or it that wrong? so usa*Na = W
There are two (equal) frictional forces helping the block to stay put.
masterchiefo said:
Didn't w already calculated the usb same time as the angle ?
Ah yes... you asked whether the value was reasonable. I didn't reply because your working was too full of numbers. My gut feel is that the answer seems reasonable. The angle is quite small, so the horizontal forces at the base of the plank would be small.

haruspex said:
There are two (equal) frictional forces helping the block to stay put.

Ah yes... you asked whether the value was reasonable. I didn't reply because your working was too full of numbers. My gut feel is that the answer seems reasonable. The angle is quite small, so the horizontal forces at the base of the plank would be small.
haruspex,

Here's something for you to ponder after waking on 4 July.

There is something about this solution that has been to bother me recently. It began with trying to come to grips with that rather small value for μsB . In trying to understand how that comes about, (Again we see the advantage of using symbols rather than numeric quantities.) we see that the normal force at B, NB is ##\displaystyle \ N_B=\frac{Mg}{2}+mg \ .\ ## That is to say, at point B, the floor supports the full weight of the plank/beam and half the weight of the block.

Contrast this to the case in which there is no block, just the plank, contacting the wall at A and the floor at B, with friction at each point of contact. Surely friction at A will support some of the weight of the plank. The floor will support only a portion of the plank's weight.

In our case, the one with the block, the weight of the block is much less that that of the plank. I suspect, therefore, the frictional force exerted on the plank at A may actually be upward, somewhat like the case with no block.

I must remind myself, as you have pointed out early in this thread, that:
1) Static friction may not be at its maximum. Often it isn't.
2) We must be careful regarding the direction we assign to the static friction.​

SammyS said:
haruspex,

Here's something for you to ponder after waking on 4 July.

There is something about this solution that has been to bother me recently. It began with trying to come to grips with that rather small value for μsB . In trying to understand how that comes about, (Again we see the advantage of using symbols rather than numeric quantities.) we see that the normal force at B, NB is ##\displaystyle \ N_B=\frac{Mg}{2}+mg \ .\ ## That is to say, at point B, the floor supports the full weight of the plank/beam and half the weight of the block.

Contrast this to the case in which there is no block, just the plank, contacting the wall at A and the floor at B, with friction at each point of contact. Surely friction at A will support some of the weight of the plank. The floor will support only a portion of the plank's weight.

In our case, the one with the block, the weight of the block is much less that that of the plank. I suspect, therefore, the frictional force exerted on the plank at A may actually be upward, somewhat like the case with no block.

I must remind myself, as you have pointed out early in this thread, that:
1) Static friction may not be at its maximum. Often it isn't.
2) We must be careful regarding the direction we assign to the static friction.​
This is a good point, but I think it comes down to the issue I already mentioned, that of whether the two variables can be simultaneously at their minima under the one criterion.
Suppose we fix the angle and reduce ##\mu_{sB}## to its minimum. It may well be that the friction from the block is pushing up on the plank.
But consider what happens if we now reduce the angle. The plank will not need as much friction from the ground, and it will pull down less on the block. On the other hand, the normal force between block and wall is reduced, so could this mean the block now slips? Well, no, because before the block can slip the friction between plank and block must start going the other way, with the plank holding the block up. So we must be able to reduce the angle to some extent without the block slipping.

Likes masterchiefo and SammyS