1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Forces and Motion, Free-body diagrams help

1. Oct 25, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An object motion is described by the following equations:

Sketch a FBD, invent a situation which could be described by these equations. How far does the object move?

2. Relevant equations

displacement equation

3. The attempt at a solution

I sketched a box with two vertical vectors in opposite direction, one representing the weight and another the normal with equal magnitudes, and two horizontal vectors, one representing the friction against the box pointing left off the box and another representing the force accelerating the box pointing right. The magnitude of the vector pointing to the right is greater than the one pointing to the left. My situation: A rocket-propelled box starts at rest on a horizontal surface; it begins to accelerate. We are looking at the box 5s after it begins to accelerate.

After 5s, the box has moved deltax=(1/2)(1.17)(52)=14.625m

Are all my answers consistent with the equations and with each other? And, when sketching displacement time and force time graphs, do I stop at 5 units on the x axis (5s)?

Thank you very much.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

Hi FEMA,

Depending on your teacher, you might have to be careful with the idea of a rocket. A rocket works by expelling mass, so you might have to explain how you have a system that is not losing mass during the 5s interval (or why such a loss is unimportant). Also, if you interpret one of the forces as friction, I would go ahead and calculate the coefficient since that is not difficult to do.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?