Help With Drawing a Free Body Diagram

In summary, the conversation discusses drawing a free-body diagram for a truck accelerating to the right with a box in the bed. The diagram includes five vectors representing the normal force, weight, force of the road, friction force of the box, and the reaction to the normal force on the box. The weight of the truck always acts at its center of gravity.
Phoenix23

Homework Statement

A large box containing your new computer sits on the bed of your pickup truck. You are stopped at a red light. The light turns green and you stomp on the gas and the truck accelerates. To your horror, the box starts to slide toward the back of the truck. (Assume that the truck is accelerating to the right.)

I have to draw a free-body diagram for the truck, and the truck bed is not frictionless.

Homework Equations

There are five vectors I have to insert, the normal force, the weight, the force of the road in reaction to the tires pushing backwards, the box's friction force on the truck bed, and the reaction to the normal force on the box from the truck.

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew the normal force up and the weight down. Both vectors were equal in length. The force of the road points to the right, and the friction of the box points to the left. I have no idea what "the reaction to the normal force on the box from the truck" means so I have not included that yet. Is my diagram alright so far, and can someone explain what the above vector means?

Thanks.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    1.2 KB · Views: 913
Physics news on Phys.org
  1. Draw a truck, resting on the ground, with a box in the bed;
  2. Remove the ground and the box;
  3. The forces from the ground on the truck (normal force & tire friction force) have to be acting where the ground used to be;
  4. The forces from the box on the truck (box weight & its friction force) have to be acting where the box used to be.
  5. By definition, the weight of the truck is always acting at its center of gravity.

1. What is a Free Body Diagram?

A Free Body Diagram is a visual representation of an object or system showing all the external forces acting on it. It helps to simplify complex problems in mechanics and is an important tool in analyzing and solving physics problems.

2. How do I draw a Free Body Diagram?

To draw a Free Body Diagram, you first need to identify the object or system you want to analyze. Then, draw a simple diagram of the object, labeling all the external forces acting on it. These forces can include weight, normal force, friction, tension, and any other forces present. Finally, use arrows to indicate the direction and magnitude of each force.

3. Why is a Free Body Diagram important?

A Free Body Diagram is important because it allows you to visualize all the forces acting on an object or system and understand how they are related. This is crucial in solving physics problems and predicting the motion of objects.

4. Can I use a Free Body Diagram for any type of problem?

Yes, a Free Body Diagram can be used for any problem involving forces and motion. It is commonly used in mechanics and physics, but can also be applied to other fields such as engineering and architecture.

5. Are there any tips for drawing a Free Body Diagram?

Yes, here are a few tips for drawing a Free Body Diagram:

• Start with a clear and simple diagram of the object or system.
  • Label all the external forces acting on the object.
  • Use arrows to indicate the direction and magnitude of each force.
  • Make sure all the forces are drawn to scale.
  • Double-check your diagram to ensure all forces are accounted for.