Forces at an angle to one another.

In summary, a particle with a mass of 2kg is being acted upon by two forces with magnitudes of 12N and 8N at an angle of 60 degrees to each other. To find the acceleration of the particle and its direction relative to the 12N force, the forces should first be decomposed into vector form. Then, the sum of the forces can be calculated to find the resultant force on the particle. The direction of the 12N force can be taken as a reference point to determine the angle and magnitude of the resultant force.
SherlockOhms

Homework Statement

A particle of mass 2kg is moving under the action of two forces. They
are of magnitudes 12N and 8N, acting at an angle of 60 
to each other. Find
the magnitude of the acceleration of the particle and its direction relative to the
direction of the 12N force.

Homework Equations

F = ma.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that this isn't actually a tricky problem but I can't seem to think it out properly.
Am I correct in decomposing both the 12N and 8N forces into vector form, i.e. 12cos60i = 12sin60j and 8cos60i + 8sin60j respectively. Then summing them and calculating both the magnitude and direction using tanθ = vj/vx. Is this correct? I'm sort of confused by the whole "relative to the 12N force" part. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think for this problem, assume the direction of the 12N force is a convenient reference, say F = (12, 0) N, so that this force acts in the positive x-direction. Then, the 8N force acts in a direction such that the angle with F is 60 degrees. Then, you can decompose into components and find the resultant before figuring the effect on the particle. In the OP, you had both force vectors heading in the same direction.

I don't really know what you're doing with is vector thing. I believe the best way to solve this would be to find the total force in the direction along the 12N, and the total force perpendicular to it. Then use Pythagoras' theorem.

SteamKing said:
I think for this problem, assume the direction of the 12N force is a convenient reference, say F = (12, 0) N, so that this force acts in the positive x-direction. Then, the 8N force acts in a direction such that the angle with F is 60 degrees. Then, you can decompose into components and find the resultant before figuring the effect on the particle. In the OP, you had both force vectors heading in the same direction.

I understand what you're saying. Sounds correct to me like. Thanks.

Saxby said:
I don't really know what you're doing with is vector thing. I believe the best way to solve this would be to find the total force in the direction along the 12N, and the total force perpendicular to it. Then use Pythagoras' theorem.

I'm not too sure what you have in mind. I can't think of anyway to solve this without the use of vectors. I'm struggling to visualise what you have in mind.

1. What is the definition of "forces at an angle to one another"?

Forces at an angle to one another refer to two or more forces acting on an object in different directions, resulting in a net force that is not in the same direction as any individual force.

2. How do you calculate the resultant force when forces are at an angle to one another?

To calculate the resultant force, you can use trigonometry to find the horizontal and vertical components of each force. Then, use the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude of the resultant force and use inverse trigonometric functions to find its direction.

3. What is the difference between the resultant force and the net force?

The resultant force is the single force that represents the combined effect of all forces acting on an object, including forces at an angle to one another. The net force, on the other hand, is the overall force on an object after taking into account its direction and magnitude.

4. Can forces at an angle to one another cancel each other out?

Yes, forces at an angle to one another can cancel each other out if their magnitudes and directions are equal and opposite. This results in a net force of zero, meaning there is no overall force acting on the object.

5. What are some real-life examples of forces at an angle to one another?

One example is a person pulling a wagon at an angle, resulting in a diagonal force on the wagon. Another example is a soccer player kicking a ball at an angle, causing the ball to move in a curved path. Additionally, a book resting on a table experiences a vertical force from the table and a horizontal force from gravity, resulting in a net force that keeps the book in place.