1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Forces between charged particles

1. Sep 27, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose the magnitude of the proton charge differs from the magnitude of the electron charge by a mere 1 part in 109.

What would be the force between two 1.7-mm-diameter copper spheres 1.7cm apart? Assume that each copper atom has an equal number of electrons and protons.
    Express your answer using two significant figures.

2. Relevant equations
    M = ρ V
    ρcopper = 8920 kg/m^3
    Vsphere = 4*pi / 3 * r^3
    Molar mass of Copper = 63.5 g/mol
    1 mol = 6.02*10^23
    upload_2014-9-27_15-39-42.png
    e=1.6*10^-19 C
    k=9*10^9 N*m^2 / C^2
    total negative charge = -e * #electrons
    total positive charge = e * #protons

3. The attempt at a solution
    Msphere = (8920 kg/m^3)(4pi/3)(1.7/2 * 10^-3)^3 *1000g/1kg= 0.0229 g

0.0229 g Copper * 1/63.5 mol/g * 6.02*10^23 atoms/mol = 2.17 *10^20 atoms of Copper

total negative charge = -e*(29)*(2.17*10^20)
    total positive charge = (29)*(-e+10^-9)
    net charge = the sum of the two above

The charge is the same for both copper spheres, so just plug and chug after this point. I am getting the wrong answer. I am certain it has to due with the calculation of the total charge on each of the copper spheres.

I am not sure how to tie the "Suppose the magnitude of the proton charge differs from the magnitude of the electron charge by a mere 1 part in 10^9." part into the actual charge of the copper atoms.
    Please help--I dont understand what they mean.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2014 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Saying that something differs by one part in x, where x is some number, means that one of them is larger (or smaller) by an amount that is 1/x of the other.

So in this case you might decide to let the proton charge be smaller than the electron charge by one part in 109, so then
    $$q_p = \left(1 - \frac{1}{10^9} \right) q_e$$
    Of course you could make the proton charge the larger one, too, if you wish.

You could also just work with the differences in the charges, since ##\Delta Q = (q_e - q_p) = \frac{1}{10^9}q_e##

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted