Forces Experienced On Moon and Earth - What is the mass?

In summary: Remember that in the future you can always ask me to explain something again or with more detail if you need to.In summary, the conversation focused on finding the mass of an object using the formula Fg = ma. One person attempted to solve the problem and got a mass of 151, but when plugging the numbers back into the formula, it did not result in a force of 25N. The conversation then shifted to finding an equation that relates the force of gravity on Earth (Fe), the force of gravity on the moon (Fm), and a force of 25N. After several attempts, the correct equation was determined to be m(9.8)=m(1.62)+25, resulting in a
lola1227
Homework Statement
an object on earth experiences a force of gravity which is 25N larger than the moon. If g(earth) = 9.8m/s^2 and g(moon) = 1.62m/s^2 .what is the mass of the object?
Relevant Equations
F=mg?
So, I decided to do

Fg=ma

I tried 25(9.8)=1.62m

m= mass

However, when i did it i got a mass of 151 but when i put it into its separate equations, the fg is not 25x larger

so fg=ma
fg=151(9.8)
= 1479.8and then fg=ma
fg=151(1.62)=

but 1479.8/244.62 is not 25 it ends up being 6.05

so i do not know where to go from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let Fe represent the force of gravity experienced by the object when the object is on the earth.
Let Fm be the force of gravity when the object is on the moon.

Can you write an equation that relates the symbols Fe, Fm, and 25N?

Likes Delta2
TSny said:
Let Fe represent the force of gravity experienced by the object when the object is on the earth.

would it be fe(25)=fm?

TSny said:

or with numbers (9.8)(25)=(1.62)?

I don't see anywhere in the problem that friction is involved. Why is friction mentioned in your thread title?

Edit: Thread title edited to better reflect the actual problem.

lola1227 said:
would it be fe(25)=fm?
This is not correct. You need to express the fact that fe is 25 N larger than fm.

Likes Delta2
gneill said:
I don't see anywhere in the problem that friction is involved. Why is friction mentioned in your thread title?
my bad. I changed the title

TSny said:
This is not correct. You need to express the fact that fe is 25 N larger than fm.
so fe+25=fm

lola1227 said:
so fe+25=fm
That's better, but still not quite correct. If fe happened to be 50 N, what would your equation give for fm? Would the result make sense?

Likes Delta2
TSny said:
That's better, but still not quite correct. If fe happened to be 50 N, what would your equation give for fm? Would the result make sense?
i see. would the equation be

m(9.8)=m(1.62)+25?

Likes Delta2
lola1227 said:
i see. would the equation be

m(9.8)=m(1.62)+25?
Yes. Make sure that you feel confident with this equation.

Likes lola1227
TSny said:
Yes. Make sure that you feel confident with this equation.
9.8x=1.62x+25
9.8x-1.62x=25
8.18x=25
x=3.056??
so would the mass be 3.056kg?

Likes Delta2
lola1227 said:
9.8x=1.62x+25
9.8x-1.62x=25
8.18x=25
x=3.056??
so would the mass be 3.056kg?
Yes. (I don't know if you are required to express the answer with an appropriate number of significant figures.)

Likes lola1227
TSny said:
Yes. (I don't know if you are required to express the answer with an appropriate number of significant figures.)
Thank you very much for your help!

You are welcome.

1. What is the difference in mass between the Moon and Earth?

The Earth has a much larger mass than the Moon. The Earth's mass is approximately 81 times greater than the Moon's mass.

2. How does the force of gravity differ between the Moon and Earth?

The force of gravity on the Moon is about 1/6th of the force on Earth. This is due to the Moon's smaller mass compared to Earth.

3. How does the mass of an object affect the force experienced on the Moon and Earth?

The greater the mass of an object, the greater the force it will experience on both the Moon and Earth. This is because the force of gravity is directly proportional to the mass of an object.

4. How does the force experienced on the Moon and Earth affect objects?

The force experienced on the Moon and Earth can affect the weight and movement of objects. On the Moon, objects will weigh less and will require less force to move due to the lower force of gravity.

5. Is the force experienced on the Moon and Earth the same for all objects?

No, the force experienced on the Moon and Earth can vary depending on the mass and distance of an object from the surface. Objects with a greater mass will experience a greater force, and objects further from the surface will experience a weaker force.