Forces on abseiling (rappelling) rock climber: find vertical reaction force

In summary: PMIf you have any information about Viraj Vasantla, please contact the police.In summary, Viraj Vasantla was last seen on September 28, 2016. If you have any information about his whereabouts, please contact the police.
Viraj Vasantla

Homework Statement

Can someone please help me with this A level physics question on Mechanics.
Help will be appreciated. The picture of question is attached. :D
Thank you

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]sin20x590=201.79N or cos70x590=201.79N

Attachments

• rock climber question a level.png
    rock climber question a level.png
    18.1 KB · Views: 1,945
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. In order for us to help, you need to make a serious attempt to solve the problem yourself. How far can you get yourself?

Yes i have made a serious attempt. In my attempt, i saw that the reaction force is equal to the weight of the person. Therefore the component of weight should be equal to vertical component of the reaction force. So, the answers came to Cos(70)x590 which equals 202N to 3 S.F but i believe i may be incorrect so i posted this thread to ask for help and see what the correct answers is.I would appreciate it if someone checked if i am correct or not.

Viraj Vasantla said:
Yes i have made a serious attempt. In my attempt, i saw that the reaction force is equal to the weight of the person. Therefore the component of weight should be equal to vertical component of the reaction force. So, the answers came to Cos(70)x590 which equals 202N to 3 S.F but i believe i may be incorrect so i posted this thread to ask for help and see what the correct answers is.I would appreciate it if someone checked if i am correct or not.

Why would the reaction force be equal to the weight of the climber?

I'm not sure but doesn't the vertical vector Fr be equal to all the other vertical vector(in the opposite direction off course)
Freactiony= Fmass + Ftensiony

What past paper or question bank is this from please

Mathijsgri said:
I'm not sure but doesn't the vertical vector Fr be equal to all the other vertical vector(in the opposite direction off course)
Freactiony= Fmass + Ftensiony
Yes, those three forces must balance, but perhaps not in quite that relationship.
You need to specify the convention you are using for force directions. Are you taking all forces as positive upward (so a force that turns out to be downward will be negative) or are you taking each force as positive in the direction in which you expect it to act (e.g. down for gravity, up for tension)?

But anyway this is different from your earlier statement that the reaction force equals the weight of the person. At least now you have included tension.

donnyboy9999 said:
What past paper or question bank is this from please
Well, this thread is from a year and a half ago, and the original poster has not been back since then. So you probably will not get an answer to your question..

From the OP's Profile Page:
Viraj Vasantla was last seen:
Sep 28, 2016

Likes BvU

1. What is the purpose of finding the vertical reaction force on an abseiling rock climber?

The vertical reaction force is important because it is the force that is acting against the weight of the climber, keeping them in a stable position while rappelling down the rock face.

2. How is the vertical reaction force calculated?

To calculate the vertical reaction force, you must first determine the weight of the climber and any equipment they are carrying. Then, you can use the formula F = mg, where F is the vertical reaction force, m is the mass of the climber, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. Are there any other forces acting on the climber besides the vertical reaction force?

Yes, there are other forces at play while abseiling. The most significant force is the force of gravity pulling the climber downward. There may also be frictional forces from the rope and air resistance.

4. How does the angle of the rock face affect the vertical reaction force?

The angle of the rock face can impact the vertical reaction force by changing the direction and magnitude of the force. For example, if the rock face is completely vertical, the vertical reaction force will be equal to the weight of the climber. However, if the rock face is at an angle, the vertical reaction force will be greater than the weight of the climber.

5. What safety precautions should be taken when considering the forces on an abseiling rock climber?

It is essential to carefully consider the forces on an abseiling rock climber and take necessary safety precautions. This includes using proper equipment and techniques, ensuring the anchor points are secure, and having a trained belayer to assist the climber. Additionally, the climber should be aware of their own physical limitations and the conditions of the rock face before attempting to rappel down.