1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Forces on an unusual supporting structure

1. Jun 15, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The frame must support a weight of 10kg, approximately 0.5m above the floor. The weight is suspended from the top of a vertical elipse shape, of which 1 side is missing. The bottom of the half elipse rests on a base.

It looks like a slightly straighter "C" with the weight hanging on the right hand side. The C is approximately 255mm across and 680mm tall.

I need to know where the major stress points are, how strong the frame material must be to avoid bending/breaking, and what shape the C needs to be, or the size of the base, to avoid the unit tipping over to the right.

2. Relevant equations
    It's been a while since I've done physics A level, my notes are somewhere in a box halfway across the country, and I have no idea what formulae I'm looking for sadly.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have drawn out a squared version of the design, and tried modelling it in Solidworks to find the answer.

The most I have found is that the major stresses will be at the upper left hand side of the C, and at the bottom of the C where it meets the stand base.

The materials can be anything I want, I'm just after the load they must take in each direction!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2007 #2
    This is NOT my homework, I am not being marked on it... but it is a matter of balance. Please someone answer, I'm in desperate need!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?