1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Forces on inclined plane question

1. Dec 15, 2015 #1
    1. An object of mass m = 1 kg is initially placed on a frictionless plane, inclined by an angle θ = 30o as indicated below. How long does it take the mass to move the distance of 10 m down the incline?

2. I had a question if how I solved this is correct. I got the right answer and I wanted to make sure this was not luck. I know that we can use kinematic equations here but I tried something else....here is what I did.

3. So we know that v=(d/t) we know d = 10m and we are solving for t, so we just need v. I know the F = ma
    and I know the mass and the force on the block. The force is the x-component of the gravitational force, so Fx = mgsinθ so we can write
    mgsinθ = ma and we know that a = (dv/dt) so mgsinθ = m*(dv/dt) so lets divide by m and move the dt to the left side so we get
    dv = gsinθ dt. Lets integrate this so v = gsinθ*t plug this in for v in the v = (d/t) equation so
    t^2*g*sinθ = d
    you can now solve for t and I got an answer close to the multiple choice answer. Is this correct how I solved for velocity?

-jake

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2015 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

V=d/t only works for constant velocity, or if what you are after is average velocity.
    The answer you got from your last equation should be wrong, only about 2/3 of the correct answer.
    Are you familiar with the SUVAT equations? These apply for constant acceleration.

4. Dec 15, 2015 #3

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted