Spring block system on inclined plane

In summary: Newton's second law of motion for each block, for the two blocks combined."In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a spring-block system on an inclined plane. The problem asks for the compression of the spring in equilibrium position and the position where the two blocks separate when pushed a further distance and released. The conversation includes various equations and attempts at solutions, with one member giving hints and explanations to help the other understand the problem. The main point is that the blocks have the same acceleration until they separate, and the key to finding the correct solution is to consider the forces acting on each block at the point of separation.
randomgamernerd
image.jpg
1. Homework Statement :

The block of mass m1 as shown in the figure (pic attached)is fastened to the spring and the block of mass m2 is placed against it.
a)Find the compression of the spring in equilibrium position.
b)The blocks are pushed a further distance (2/k)(m1 + m2)g sinθ
against the spring and released. Find the position where the two blocks seperate.

Homework Equations

: [/B]
F=kx (Hookes law)

The Attempt at a Solution

:[/B]
a)For the time being...we are replacing the two blocks with a block of equivalent mass(M)
i.e M = m1 + m2.
At equilibrium, net force on this new block = 0.
MgSinθ= kx
⇒x=MgSinθ/k = (m1 + m2)gSinθ/k
b) The blocks separate when normal force between them is zero. So m2gSinθ stops acting on m1
Let the stretch in the spring be y at this instant.
So,
At this instant, on m2, no N is acting.
So,
m2a=m2gSinθ
⇒a=gSinθ
⇒Fs/(m1+m2)=gSinθ
⇒ky = (m1+m2)gSinθ
⇒y=(m1+m2)gSinθ/k
so, the spring should by stretch by (m1+m2)gSinθ/k
Why is the answer given "when the spring attains its normal length"...? where am I going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
randomgamernerd said:
⇒Fs/(m1+m2)=gSinθ
Can you explain where this came from?

Let me try this. Let's say you have a spring vertically oriented that has a platform on top of it and m1 and m2 sitting on top of the platform (m2 on top of m1). You compress the spring a great amount and then release it. In a perfect world, the two masses would be launched into the air from the platform and stay together. They would then continue on from there with an acceleration of -9.8 m/s2.

Next, let's say that you glue m1 to the platform and repeat the process. m2 gets launched into the air and continues from there with an acceleration of -9.8 m/s2. What can you say about m1's acceleration relative to m2's acceleration at the point they separate? What about after they separate? What condition causes that?

TomHart said:
Let me try this. Let's say you have a spring vertically oriented that has a platform on top of it and m1 and m2 sitting on top of the platform (m2 on top of m1). You compress the spring a great amount and then release it. In a perfect world, the two masses would be launched into the air from the platform and stay together. They would then continue on from there with an acceleration of -9.8 m/s2.

Next, let's say that you glue m1 to the platform and repeat the process. m2 gets launched into the air and continues from there with an acceleration of -9.8 m/s2. What can you say about m1's acceleration relative to m2's acceleration at the point they separate? What about after they separate? What condition causes that?
Look man..I'm already ample confused...I appreciate your attempt to help me out...but the way you are giving me "hints" to the sum...it seems you are confused yourself and asking me a question rather than giving me hint...It will be helpful if you clarify what you want to say...A little bit of rephrasing will be better...

Someone please help...

Quick question, are you familiar with integral calculus at this point in time or expected to know it for this class?

I think the main goal here is to try to help people understand. That is why I asked you the first question that I asked in post #2. I wanted you to think about that equation to consider if it really made sense. If you thought about post #3 and it did not help, then throw it away.

You wrote the following equation:
randomgamernerd said:
⇒a=gSinθ
This one made sense to me. It is the acceleration of block m2 at the instant the two blocks separate. The reason you came up with that is because you said:
"The blocks separate when normal force between them is zero." I agree with that.

And then your next equation was:
randomgamernerd said:
⇒Fs/(m1+m2)=gSinθ
So this equation substituted Fs/(m1 + m2) for a. So now you are basing the acceleration on Fs acting upon both masses. Why would you do that if you know the blocks are separated?

Basically what you found is how far the spring has to be compressed to produce a force that would give 2 blocks the same acceleration as one block would have if it was sliding freely on the ramp.

Here is the main point I was trying to get you to see:
Up until separation, blocks m1 and m2 have the exact same acceleration. When separation occurs, the only force acting on block m2 along the ramp is its weight component in that direction. Thus its acceleration is mgsinθ - like you found. The only reason m1 could have a greater acceleration in the down-the-ramp direction is if it had another force, in addition to its own weight component, acting in that direction. What additional force could possibly show up that would begin to pull m1 down the ramp, resulting in a greater down-the-ramp acceleration than m2 has? I'll give you a hint. It is something that is attached to m1 that, up until this separation time, was pushing it rather than pulling it.

I hope that helps.

Likes TJGilb
TJGilb said:
Quick question, are you familiar with integral calculus at this point in time or expected to know it for this class?
yup

TomHart said:
I think the main goal here is to try to help people understand. That is why I asked you the first question that I asked in post #2. I wanted you to think about that equation to consider if it really made sense. If you thought about post #3 and it did not help, then throw it away.
yeah..post 3 confused me...Sorry if I sounded rude...I'm under huge pressure actually...
"So this equation substituted Fs/(m1 + m2) for a. So now you are basing the acceleration on Fs acting upon both masses. Why would you do that if you know the blocks are separated?"

I did not think about that...sorry..

Here is the main point I was trying to get you to see:
Up until separation, blocks m1 and m2 have the exact same acceleration. When separation occurs, the only force acting on block m2 along the ramp is its weight component in that direction. Thus its acceleration is mgsinθ - like you found. The only reason m1 could have a greater acceleration in the down-the-ramp direction is if it had another force, in addition to its own weight component, acting in that direction. What additional force could possibly show up that would begin to pull m1 down the ramp, resulting in a greater down-the-ramp acceleration than m2 has? I'll give you a hint. It is something that is attached to m1 that, up until this separation time, was pushing it rather than pulling it.

I hope that helps.
The additional force that shows up is the pull force due to the spring.
So forces on m1 are m1gSinθ and spring force...
So if we assume acceleration of m1 to be a, then
m1a = m1gSinθ + kx
what is a equal to here??
Is it that common acceleration??
And what is the use of the other information("if the blocks are pushed a further distance (2/k)...")?

randomgamernerd said:
yeah..post 3 confused me...Sorry if I sounded rude...I'm under huge pressure actually...
I have been there and fully remember the frustration. No problem.
randomgamernerd said:
So forces on m1 are m1gSinθ and spring force...
Yes. And I would say that the separation occurs just as the spring passes the zero-force point and just begins to pull. Or mathematically, it occurs when both blocks have acceleration mgsinθ. That is the point where the force of the spring is 0. For a particular spring, its zero-force point is ALWAYS at its normal, unloaded length.
randomgamernerd said:
And what is the use of the other information("if the blocks are pushed a further distance (2/k)...")?
I haven't verified it, but I'm fairly certain that the purpose of that information is to ensure that the spring gets compressed far enough for the 2 blocks to separate. If you imagine the 2 blocks resting on the spring in equilibrium and then you apply a gentle pressure compressing the spring slightly and releasing, the blocks would oscillate back and forth with a very small amplitude. It would not be enough spring compression that, when released, would cause the 2 blocks to separate. If you applied a very large pressure to compress the spring a large amount and then released, that would result in a much larger spring force - enough so that the blocks would separate.

randomgamernerd said:
m1a = m1gSinθ + kx
What about the corresponding equation for the other mass? At the point where they separate, what will be the relationship between the two accelerations?
(This problem is much simpler than it appears.)

Last edited:
haruspex said:
Agreed. The solution is almost trivial, but not immediately obvious that it is almost trivial.

TomHart said:
I have been there and fully remember the frustration. No problem.

Yes. And I would say that the separation occurs just as the spring passes the zero-force point and just begins to pull. Or mathematically, it occurs when both blocks have acceleration mgsinθ. That is the point where the force of the spring is 0. For a particular spring, its zero-force point is ALWAYS at its normal, unloaded length.

I haven't verified it, but I'm fairly certain that the purpose of that information is to ensure that the spring gets compressed far enough for the 2 blocks to separate. If you imagine the 2 blocks resting on the spring in equilibrium and then you apply a gentle pressure compressing the spring slightly and releasing, the blocks would oscillate back and forth with a very small amplitude. It would not be enough spring compression that, when released, would cause the 2 blocks to separate. If you applied a very large pressure to compress the spring a large amount and then released, that would result in a much larger spring force - enough so that the blocks would separate.
okay..now I got it...thanks for the help...:smile:

Likes TomHart
Okay..so I'm just describing what's happening here...
First, we placed the block m2..or it was already placed...whatever..
Now the spring is not in its natural length..because the two blocks are exerting a force on it...
The spring is now compressed until its compressed to a length (m1+m2)gSinθ/k...where it attains equilibrium since net force on it is zero..
Now the spring is further compressed to 2(m1+m2...
The system will try to regain equilibrium...
So the restoring spring force acts...pushes both the block m1...which is again pushing block m2..
After the spring is again back to equilibrium length i.e (m1+m2)gSinθ/k..it overshoots itself because of inertia...so length of the spring is now approaching its natural length...now the forces on m1 are spring force which is pushing it up and m1gSinθ which is ushing it down..The normal force from m1 on m2 is pushing it up..forces on m2 are this normal force and m2gSinθ..As the spring approaches its natural length, spring force is decreasing..finally when the spring attains its natural length no spring force acts..So both are having same acceleration gsinθ...but now spring force comes back again to restore equilibrium position(which we calculated above) and hence now two forces acts on m1: one is m1gsinθ pushing down, another is spring force pulling it down..this spring force causes an additional downward acceleration and the two seperate..so they get separated when spring attains its natural length..

Am I right??
But I am still having trouble in expressing it mathematically:H:cry: I know I'm overthinking..but..

Last edited:
someone please confirm..

haruspex said:
What about the corresponding equation for the other mass? At the point where they separate, what will be the relationship between the two accelerations?
That will also be a?? Then it becomes m2a=m2gSinθ
So we have two equations:
m1a = m1gSinθ + kx ...equation A
m2a=m2gSinθ...equation B
From these two I get:
m1m2gSinθ=m1m2gSinθ + m2kx
⇒x=0
Oh! I got it..:woot:

Likes TomHart
randomgamernerd said:
That will also be a?? Then it becomes m2a=m2gSinθ
So we have two equations:
m1a = m1gSinθ + kx ...equation A
m2a=m2gSinθ...equation B
From these two I get:
m1m2gSinθ=m1m2gSinθ + m2kx
⇒x=0
Oh! I got it..:woot:
Great.
As TomHart noted in post #11, the information about the extra compression is to ensure that the spring has enough stored energy that the masses reach the point where the spring is relaxed. Otherwise, it could simply have said "assuming the masses later separate..."

What is a spring block system on an inclined plane?

A spring block system on an inclined plane is a physics experiment that involves a block attached to a spring that is placed on an inclined plane. The block is pulled down the plane by the force of gravity, and the spring provides a restoring force in the opposite direction.

What is the purpose of conducting a spring block system on an inclined plane experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to study the relationship between the force applied to the block, the displacement of the block, and the angle of inclination of the plane. This can help us understand the principles of Hooke's Law and Newton's Laws of Motion.

How is the spring constant of the spring determined in this experiment?

In this experiment, the spring constant of the spring can be determined by measuring the displacement of the block and the force applied to it at different angles of inclination. By plotting this data on a graph and finding the slope, we can calculate the spring constant.

What factors can affect the results of a spring block system on an inclined plane experiment?

The results of this experiment can be affected by various factors such as the mass of the block, the spring constant of the spring, the angle of inclination of the plane, and friction between the block and the plane. These factors should be carefully controlled to ensure accurate results.

What are the real-world applications of a spring block system on an inclined plane?

This experiment has various real-world applications, such as determining the spring constant of a spring used in a car's suspension system, measuring the force of a spring in a pogo stick, and studying the motion of a spring-loaded door closer. It also helps in understanding the movement of objects on inclined planes, which is essential in fields such as engineering and architecture.